Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought 2 kenwood subwoofers and im going to get a new amp, but im wonder what wattage do i need? i know almost nothing about audio systems, im more into go than show, but some sound would be nice
here the stats of my subwoofer:

WOOFER FEATURES
Bumped Yoke
Extended Pole Piece: Vented
Frequency Response: 28Hz - 800Hz
Impedance: 4 ohms
Magnet Weight: 35.3 oz
one-Piece Cone Design
Pearl Mica Injection-Molded Polypropylene Cone: 10" Tornado-Type
Power Handling: 600 Watts
Sensitivity: 91dB
Speaker Connectors: Gold-Plated, 2-Way SB-Type
Urethane Surround
Vented Voice Coil: 2-Layer

So how many watts should the next amp i get be? (im going to try to get a kenwood amp, money isnt an issue, size isnt, looks isnt, amp will connect to both subwoofers, not 1)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
assume its peak, so 300rms each. so you would want an amp capable of 600rms at 2ohms. off the top of my head mtx sub amps produce peak power at 2ohms. the 500d would suit them nicely. i think they run around 300$.

do NOT get a kenwood amp to run the subs. kenwood/sony/clarion etc suck at amps.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k, So i guess Kenwood is outa there, Since both of my subs are 600watt peak power, i need a 600watt amp? or does the amp go by RMS? Ive been looking for the RMS, but not even the kenwood home page even says what the RMS is so i'll go with 300 like u said. I need to find a amp that supports 300rms? or a amp that is 600watts? (sorry if these questions sound stupid, i know nothing)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aight thanks, Just to verrify it, The wattage on the amps , like it says ''500 watts'' in the top of it, is that usually the RMS wattage? or the peak wattage

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i reccomend both Rockford Fosgate's PUnch series, and Audiobahn. Kicker also makes amazing amps,for a little higher of a price bracket than the previous.

·
Registered
402 Posts
XDEep on Aug/17/02 said:
do NOT get a kenwood amp to run the subs. kenwood/sony/clarion etc suck at amps.
i tend to disagree with you on that. i was just at best buy a couple of weeks ago and i talked to the head installer at the car audio department. he said that he was surprised at how good kenwoods are. best buy just started selling kenwood a couple of months ago and the guy said that he thought they were pretty crappy until he started installing them, then he realized how good they really were, esp. in the reliability department, he has yet to see a broken amp. i have a kenwood amp powering my subs, and i have no complaints. sounds great, excellent price, and descent power. now, im not saying that kenwood is as good as the higher end rf's (except the kenwood excelons, those are great), but they certainly dont suck. sony, on the other hand,does suck. ive heard nothing but bad things about them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
SBhatia on Aug/19/02 said:
Quote: XDEep on Aug/17/02 i tend to disagree with you on that. i was just at best buy a couple of weeks ago and i talked to the head installer at the car audio department. he said that he was surprised at how good kenwoods are. best buy just started selling kenwood a couple of months ago and the guy said that he thought they were pretty crappy until he started installing them, then he realized how good they really were, esp. in the reliability department, he has yet to see a broken amp. i have a kenwood amp powering my subs, and i have no complaints. sounds great, excellent price, and descent power. now, im not saying that kenwood is as good as the higher end rf's (except the kenwood excelons, those are great), but they certainly dont suck. sony, on the other hand,does suck. ive heard nothing but bad things about them.
I used to work at best buy and there is a reason he was pressing that kenwood amp... they just started carrying them (as you stated). the larger the sales in the new product, the larger the bonus on the supervisor's check in that department. believe me, I know. I was the sup. of the digital camcorders and cameras... that's how they work.

just giving you the heads up. I really don't know if it's good or not?? I have 2 12" HE Rockfords and a 400S amp bridged.

·
Registered
402 Posts
NeoSilverTeg on Aug/19/02 said:
I used to work at best buy and there is a reason he was pressing that kenwood amp... they just started carrying them (as you stated). the larger the sales in the new product, the larger the bonus on the supervisor's check in that department. believe me, I know. I was the sup. of the digital camcorders and cameras... that's how they work.

just giving you the heads up. I really don't know if it's good or not?? I have 2 12" HE Rockfords and a 400S amp bridged.
that may be true. but, as i failed to mention earlier, i wasnt there to buy an amp. i had the amp already. i was there to get the ground wire on my amp changed. (there is a thread up about that whole ordeal
here)
now, i dont know why he would be trying to sell me a kenwood amp when i already had one, and i had no intention of buying one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts