Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have pictures of the under seat install....i have my amp under my front drivers seat but the amp sticks out alot cuz of the metal bracket underneath the seat...i hear people talk about hammering the bracket but does anybody have any pics of what it looks like after you hammer it...also if you have pics of how the amp is mounted underneath..thanx

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
i've had friends with bad experiences having the amp installed under any of the front seats...from passengers in the back kicking the amps and wires coming lose...one bad example was the power wire came loose and he swore it was like the 4th of july in the back...i would think for safety reasons mount the amp in the back away from possible situations like these...unless passengers in the back seats are forbidden?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I rarely have rear passengers in my car.

Why I moved my setup from the back of the rear seats to under the passenger seat was simple. Everytime I went to the track, removing all that crap that was attached to the back seat while removing the back seat became a large pain. So, I changed the setup around, mounted a single 5 ch. amp under the seat, and now when I go to the track, all I need to do is remove the seats...no wires or amps to deal with. Plus, the amp is in the center of the car and not really affecting the weight balance at all.

When I do have rear passengers, they don't destroy the amp at all. All of my wires are concealed nicely.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can't say as its a good idea to mount an amp of any great size under the seat but about the best way to secure it is to mount a "thin" piece of MDF (or ply in a bind) with a panel adhesive. This will give you a secure panel to mount to w/o having to punch holes in the floor of your car.
You can screw into that but I like running a stud up through the wood and using nuts to hold the amp down. You'll have to counter sink the stud slightly but it looks tight when your done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not really worried bout the wires cuz they're on the inside...im just worried bout how comfortable the seat might be cuz i might hammer it in too much or something...but...was just seeing what the under side of the seat might look like after i hammer away at it...o well...might just do it...

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
bshot1028 on Mar/26/04 said:
im not really worried bout the wires cuz they're on the inside...im just worried bout how comfortable the seat might be cuz i might hammer it in too much or something...but...was just seeing what the under side of the seat might look like after i hammer away at it...o well...might just do it...
Keep in mind, if the wires are on the inside, how are you going to adjust the amp?

Unless of course the adjustments and the hookups are on different sides.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know this thread is old, but it's still relevant as nobody has posted pics of their install yet. I mounted mine underneath the seat. There wasn't much hammering on the seat; just a slight amount. I tried to use a 2x4 in between the bottom of the seat and hammer so that I didn't make any dents that are too gnarly. There's also a certain area on the floorboard that is lower than the rest of the floorboard, which made an ideal position to sit the amp. Here are pics of my install (without the seat)

The seat still slides just as easily as it did before the install. However, make sure you try it out before you bolt th seat back on and hook everything up, and hen you do bolt it down make sure all of the wires underneath your seat are secured so that you don't grind them between your amp and seat.
Also, I oriented the amp with my gain settings facing towards the backseat. That way I can simply scoot the seat forward and adjust the settings unencumbered. It works perfectly. And to those that were *****ing about people kicking your wires loose...don't most amps have endcaps? There's no way my wires are going to come loose underneath those caps. Also, I don't even think people's feet would touch the amp. It's tucked towards the front far enough that people's toes probably can't reach it.
Heat concerns: None; doesn't seem like it's getting hot to me. I think the cabin is a better place to install the amp than the trunk. There's no way a driver is going to let the cabin get hotter than the trunk is going to get, therefore, that has to be at least 10 degrees difference right there. There's also airflow from when you have your window open or have the fan running. To the extent that overheating matters, I believe cabin install is better than trunk.
And to address the last concern regarding a difference in the ride of your seat after having hammered down the bottom of it; I only had to hammer mine about .5", and I can't feel a difference. I also just completed a 1500 mile drive and I was comfortable as I always am :)

Here's another thread about this same topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts