Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on installing an amp that i was using in my old car. i know the easiest place to put the amp would be just in the trunk or on the back of one of the rear seats, but i'm often putting the seats down and putting stuff back there when i move equipment for my band. also, it doesn't fit really well under the seat. so i'm wondering where you guys have put yours? i was playing around with it and i noticed it would fit in between the top of the spare tire and the floor of the trunk but i'm not sure if this is a good idea. any suggestions?
thanks
scott

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Mine is mounted behind both rear seats but I seen it mounted where the spare tire is.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i seriously doubt itll fit under a seat i tried that with one of my amps and it didnt work if you dont have to carry many people id say you could put it on the floor behind the drivers seat let me know how it turns out

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
The back of the rear seats is a good place. The ventilation is adequate and as long as your wiring is secured and the amp is durable, I wouldn't worry about moving music equipment..........because I do the same thing. How much are you moving though? Please tell me you're not throwing a half stack in there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm...yea, i guess i'm probably looking at mounting it on the back seat. i kinda don't like the idea of permantly altering the car tho. i'm liking the on top of the spare tire placement because it would be completely out of the way, but i'm not sure if the amp would be damaged from heat or something. however, this amp wasn't a real big investment (my cousin got tired of it and gave it to me) has anyone tried putting it there?
another idea i had was to attach it to the bottom of the rear deck that swings up and down and is removable. that might be kinda sketchy tho with the weight of the amp and everything. thanks for the replies.
scott

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
remember, if ou mount it oNTO the back of the back seat... the amp is designed so that the amp is sitting on a flat level surface, and the heat from the amp is to disapate upwards... if you mount the amp to the back of the seat then the amp will be sitting at a (lets say) 100 degree angle and the heat will not disapate correctly and may melt the board in the amp.

if you DO install it onto the back of the seat be sure to move the seat to the down position so it is at more of a level ground.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry Rapture.
The information about the amp install is not exactly correct. Yes, there are occasions when an amp can overheat because it is not receiving enough air to "breathe", but this is not the case with mounting it to the seat. Normally an amp can be mounted vertically, horizontally or even upside down. The reason that an amp might shut down is for protection. Almost all amps have a built in safeguard to "take care" of themselves However, this happens only on extremely hot days and rarely at that. I have had my Nakamichi and Alpine amps mounted on the back of my seats for the last 4 years and have never had them overheat. If you reverse mount (front of amp facing seat)you could cause it to shut down more often than not. Because you are placing the front toward the seat and it can't vent. However, the openings on the amp for mounting screws are almost always on the "base" of the amp. The other way is fine. There should be no problem. My sealed box is right in front of my amps and I have no problems with the system. I also have a little bit of background to support this...I sold and installed high end audio systems for three years. You don't have to put your seat down if you install the amp on the back of the rear seat.

TheRapture on Sep/10/02 said:
remember, if ou mount it oNTO the back of the back seat... the amp is designed so that the amp is sitting on a flat level surface, and the heat from the amp is to disapate upwards... if you mount the amp to the back of the seat then the amp will be sitting at a (lets say) 100 degree angle and the heat will not disapate correctly and may melt the board in the amp.

if you DO install it onto the back of the seat be sure to move the seat to the down position so it is at more of a level ground.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Rapture

I have to agree with ace1972. I had one of my amps mounted on the back of the seat for about 3 years. No problem as long your wires and your amp mounted real good.

It depends on how much air room you have and which way your heat sink is faceing.

I been installing for over 6 years (side jobs).

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not sure about G3s, but in my G2...the panel in the
back seat (hatchback) to the side of where a back seat
passenger would sit, has a lot of room behind it. I
thought of putting subs in there, but never got around
to it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 2 amps mounted on both sides of the trunk. They are mounted vertically behind the wheel wells, near the light for the trunk. This has worked well for me because I also put the seats down and haul a lot of stuff back and forth to college and have never had a problem with overheating at all, even with the trunk almost full of stuff. I can even fit a set of golf clubs in there between the two of em. The only problem is that I had to drill into the plastic to mount them, but I like the look better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too have my amps on my backs seats. If you really don't want to put it in there you can place it on your sub box if you have one. It would only take a minute or two to remove the box and the amp.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
ace1972 on Sep/10/02 said:
jfro6512,

What about the wires going to the amp.
Wouldn't you have to disconnect them everytime you want to take the box out to put things in the car? Power, Ground, Rcas etc?...
Thats alot of Eletric tape....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Phat integra,

Yes...alot of electric tape...everytime.

I mt.bike. Everytime I toss the bike in the back, I take the sub out (just quick disco the positive and negative on the box and pull it out, put the seats down and cover the amps with a towel so the bike doesn't scratch the amps. takes like a minute...no electric tape required.

Still curious about jfro6512's install, though?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
its not good to mount your amp to your box from what i know it vibrates the amp and causes it to fail sooner i had that happen with the one i had in my civc when i had it

·
Registered
461 Posts
i accualy used velcrow to fasten mine down to the carppet on the trunk floor right behind the seats so i can easily move it if need be. it accually works really well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Kenwood is not a bad brand. The reason I asked the make is some "lesser" priced amps would be more likely to have the vibration affect them. Can't see a Mac,ADS or Nak being susceptible to that set-up. You still had to disco all the wires when you wanted to take the box out right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts