Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure which forum I should post this message but it deals with selling my Subaru Legacy. I got this email from someone who is interested in buying my Subaru. I thought it was kind of wierd and I would like to know what you guys think? I would like to sell my Subaru and hoping this transaction will go smoothly. I heard of people getting scammed and I don't want that to happen to me.

Here is the email I got..

"My client hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too .He can't wait to see the car parked in his garage.
However,my client made out a certified cashiers check ($14500) before
he travelled to japan on a business trip,for a previous car and its
shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check
he deposited for the car is bigger than what should be paid to you
now, so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the
purchase of your car,the pick up of the car from its present location
and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements.
However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're
required to deduct the cost of your car ($8000) and send the balance
of($6500) to my client via western union money transfer to enable him
offsett shipping charges/arrangements.once the transaction is concluded,My
agent will be coming for the pick up of the car from its present
location, on an open vehicle and then drive to a pre paid shipper for
shipment while title papers and other necessary documets will be handed
to he agent at the time of pick up.

Please Confirm this and provide name,address and phone
number for check payment to be delivered to you via
fedex courier .
Thanks and God bless"

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thats a SCAMMM!!!!!!!! stay away from this wanna be smart-guy !!! I was selling something on e-bay and i got the same crap...keywords: for dumb scammers client/cashier check ....DoNT DO IT!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
oh geez, i got the same damn situation but i guess this guy is sending me a check, can i just send it back? or is there any way around this?

edit: can someone explain to me how this is a scam?

·
Registered
622 Posts
trust me dude...go to honda-tech and search scams...theyre all check/cashier check related...

DoNT DO IT!!!

I got an email very similar like this...and plus why would he pay extra $$ for the car!!! NEVER IN MY LIFE SOMEoNE WANTED TO PAY MORE(a lot more) FOR WHAT I WAS SELLING, and this guy wants to pay extra $$??? i say its full of B.S

·
Registered
819 Posts
As far as I'm aware, what will happen is that the scammer will get your account information when you try to transfer the money (the excess from the transaction) back to him and then the scammer will drain said account.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering if there's something I could do to avoid the scam, like have the money tranfered to my bank account first, and then giving them the car?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just searched Honda-Tech and found this...

" STICKY! ongoing Scam - "I'll send you $xxxx, can you send me the remaining balance?" 2:08 AM 10/8/2003 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently selling my integra online, and was contacted by a guy name of Jimmy Cole in UK. He offered me my asking price with very little bargain. He said he would pay me with a cashier's check which will be issued/sent by a business associate of his in the US. He told me that the business associate owes him money in the amount greater than the price of my car and then asked me if I could send him the balance when I get the cashier's check. Surely, the cashier's check arrives, but being a paranoid ass that I am, I decide to wait for couple of weeks before I send anything out. I almost sent him the money when, the day after I deposited the cashier's check, I saw that I have available balance of $9900+. But I decided to hold it anyways, because now that he's sent me the money he's not going anywhere if the check is real, and if the check is fake, then I just saved my ass from getting ripped off $6000+.
Surely, about 2 weeks later, BofA withdrew $9900 from my account stating that the deposited item was fraudulent.

If I sent him the money, I would've owed the bank the money that I withdrew.

So be aware of this scam."

This sounds exactly like the email I got.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Many people are having problems with these types of scams. These types of scams are a big problem. Many have been tracked back to Nigeria. If you want try a search on google for "Nigerian Scams". I'm sure you'll find something thats similiar to your situation.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank god someone brought up this kind of scam or else i would have been screwed. Should i just hold on the the check when it comes or send it back?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get his info and turn him in. Pretend like you dont know and get the account number, name, any info he will give and call the authorities. We gotta teach these crooks to mess with us.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zealous on Feb/02/04 said:
Thank god someone brought up this kind of scam or else i would have been screwed. Should i just hold on the the check when it comes or send it back?
I'd like to think I made a difference by this thread. I feel good that this is helping out a fellow TI member.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts