Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, am just wondering if there is much I can do about my alternator whine. Its getting annoying. It the alternator on its way out? I spoke to a dude aat a shop and he said they can replace the carbon brushes and service the bearings. My cars done 95,000kms its it about time for it to die? also do people replace alternators or get them serviced?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
ah if it's going out why not spend a little extra and get a high-output...but to solve the ground loop (alternator whine) you can get a ground loop isolator and that should solve it (it doesn't fix the problem trully but it makes it so you can't hear it generally) don't have the website in front of me but there is a place online that has a 150 amp with a lifetime warranty for I believe $200
Later,
Jared

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's probably just a ground loop and not the actual alternator being bad.

Make sure all your grounds are solid, the same gauge or larger than the power, and all in the same location. If it's still present you can buy a ground loop isolator and it should go away.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just noticed today that when i give the engine the slightest bit of gas then let off my alternator sounds like "gingling keys", my friend said it sounded like the bearings in alternator where going... but this has been persistant ever since i got my teg about a year ago a loud whine comes from the area around the belts and pully's around 2.5k rpm anyone had this problem? Anyone wanna guess if its the belts pulleys or alternator? Oh and btw this is not a ground loop in my sound system, it's completely coming from the engine compartment. thanx in advance

·
Registered
269 Posts
check all your belts for proper tension, then check each pulley individually. check your a/c tensioner specifically., it makes a similar noise to what your describing when the bearing goes. 95K its about time to change your timng belt/water pump as well.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
wow! i was thinking my transmission ground was causing my starting/running problems. And I was also hearing a whine. Therefore, put two and two together and it does appear that it is my ground that is causing all my problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts