Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 91 teg and am told the alternator is going bad. Has anyone changed their alternator and how big a job is it. Looks like it has to come out from under the car.

**lil edit by mod**

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My suggestion is to grab a helms. on most cars you just get to "coax" it out lol. If your competant with tools you'll be fine. before you buy a stock replacement why did it go bad? by that I mean do you have anthing like a system in your car? Extra lighting? anthing like that. if so you might be better off with a higher output alternator

Later,
Jared

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The easiest way would be to take the driver side axle off and then unbolt the 12mm bolt on top and the 14mm bolt on the bottom of the alternator and disconnect the wiring harness for the alternator. It can be a pain to get the alternator out if you doing take out the driver side axle

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
I saw people took it off from the garage, it LOOKS really easy, is really just a drop down, but then again, if you don't have those car lift, and lift it high enough, it can be hard to get it out tho. I am sure it will be easy if you have some experience DIYer around to help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has over 250k miles, which is probably why alt is going, what wories me is my son is driving it home from college this weekend and it is about a 3 hour trip. I think the bearings are starting to squeel and wonder if he will make it home.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Well. to answer the question. I've had to change mine out before. Easiest way like mentioned is removing it from below. I had a lil bit of n advantage since i ghad it up on a lift while working on it. But jacks and stsnds will be fine. I was able to'by the way, remove the alternator with out having to take the axle out completely. As in emove it from the tranny. all I had to do was free it from the brake assembly. and (once your down there you'll see it)remove or get out of the way a bracket.(Sorry it was almost 2 years ago that i changes it,memories clouded). which was in the way. and the alternator came right out.with some shimmying but not too much cussing involved. there was a discussion back then in this forum about it also. I remember someone mentioned that removing the intake manifold was the best bet for him. But I dunno. seems like more work going through the top.

alt removal
I only searched this forum. i'm sure there are plenty of other related threads on this topic in other forums. good luck man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 91 Integra and replaced the alternator without removing the axle. I just unbolted the intermediate shaft bracket and flipped it down out of the way. It will seem like it is impossible but if you move it around to just the right position the alternator will literally fall right out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts