Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been lookin' into subs and ive decided to eitehr go with 1 12" alpine type r or a 12" jl w3. which do you guys recommend? i was talking to the guy at tweeter and he said everyone goes for the w3, but he seemed really biased, because he used a sh*tty amp to show the alpine to me and a nice one for the w3, plus he also turned it up louder for the w3...but anyways, which do you guys think? somehow i think everyone'll say the w3...but for some reason i just really want the alpine! heh, thanks for any help..

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Go back and listen again...same amp, same gain. Seriously, acoustics is my field of expertise (not mobile audio)...the freq. response of our hearing is completely different at higher dB levels. This totally destroys any kind of critical listening.

From there, your decision should be clear...my money is on the JL.

·
Registered
385 Posts
JL builds the industry standard subwoofer...they are great subs...the w 7 in particular is an engineering marvel...w3's are great and they are cheap...although I do have 2 eclipse aluminum subs..they just work in my application a little better

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
As far as what name to get, I think you should remember one thing. They are just names! If you like Alpine go with it. If JL is your company, buy it. The speaker playing field is pretty much level. When shopping for a speaker, try looking for one with a RMS that matches that of your amp.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well personally, just looking at the w3 at the store, it just looked cheap compared to the alpines (not to insult the jl owners, i know its a very respected brand name) but i have no basis to choose one over the other. and i really don't wanna go back and bother listening to the fool at tweeter either...although i heard a measly 10" type e at good guys, and thing bumped pretty damn good for a 10"...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
indy23 on Aug/04/02 said:
JL builds the industry standard subwoofer...they are great subs...the w 7 in particular is an engineering marvel...w3's are great and they are cheap...although I do have 2 eclipse aluminum subs..they just work in my application a little better
those eclipses are my dream, but the price is just a bit too much for me..

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
The w3 is no more produce thats why there selling it cheap. I go with the w6.
Im going to upgrade my 15"s JL w1 (I bought them when thay first introduce to the market) to w6 after I get my Apline Xm/Tv Unit.

·
Registered
713 Posts
MrMoe on Aug/05/02 said:
As far as what name to get, I think you should remember one thing. They are just names! If you like Alpine go with it. If JL is your company, buy it. The speaker playing field is pretty much level. When shopping for a speaker, try looking for one with a RMS that matches that of your amp.
they are not just names... every company has a different bass sound... for example precision power (PPI) has a good reputation for amps but their subs sound like sh*t.. it has a high pitch thumping sound that sounds dirty... and i know this because i used to have one and my freind used to have one but different model... you listen to a JL w6 and any other subs and you can tell there is clean low bass compared to others... and dont get a sub because it looks nice! its just there way to lure you to a crap sub that they just boost up the price for the looks.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Alpine does not make better speakers or anything else than jl audio ammps compponent what have you jl is a much higher level product alpines new stuff is decent tho but if you really wanna bang get a 12w6 it is constructed way better than the w3.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
well personally, just looking at the w3 at the store, it just looked cheap compared to the alpines (not to insult the jl owners,

that is why i said a w6 wich is their discontiued model wich was the ultimate speaker b4 w7 if you have heard a w7 powered properly than you know that one 12w7 sounds like 3 12w6 you have to look for a w6 cause they dont make them anymore was replaced by w3 to make room for w7 if that makes since.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
QUOTE]
its just there way to lure you to a crap sub that they just boost up the price for the looks.

[/QUOTE]

Thats why I said to try and find a sub that has an RMS that matches that of your amp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts