Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about the potential of an all motor GSR. What mods can be made that will increase the low-end torque of this motor? A good intake, the correct intake manifold (if one exists for all motor) and cams (again, if their are any for all motor applications) and a 4-2-1 would probably be best for this, right? What else would be good for all motor?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
bore it to 85mm , run a 134 mm CTR rod, use an SMSP or Hytech extra long hybrid 4-2-1 header in a 2.5 in. system, keep the GSR 2 stage IM, use a 64mm TB, use a long CAI with 2.75 in. diameter instead of 3 in., choose a narrower 102-105 lobe separation angle cam, move the adjustable cam gears away from each other, and use some LS 2nd-3rd gearing.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Why the shorter CTR rod? The rod ratio wouldn't be a whole lot different. That's why I am asking. It would still be pretty durned close to 1.54:1, like 1.53667:1.

·
Registered
162 Posts
isnt the CTR rod is the same or longer then the GS-R rod? i thought the b16b block was basically the same as the b18c.. if so.. that would mean the rod should be longer. and don't you want a higher rod ratio? your not changing the stroke at all so your not going to get alot more midrange by gogin to a lower roda ratio will you?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm going to bore it, wouldn't I do better with a b20 bottom end? As far as the long CAI, where would I want the filter to end up? Where is the high pressure area at the front of an integra (high pressure area is what I want, yes?) 134mm CTR rod, but should I modify the piston? I know that decreasing the rod length changes the compression, but doesn't a shorter rod reduce the compression?

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you go 85mm on a piston you will have to get forged anyways, and they make all types of compression for you. your original question was what is the best power you can get from a gs-r block. so yes the best way would still be to sleeve out to 85mm. and if you sleeve it. the b20 is NOT better by anymeans. i'd take a 84mm gs-r block anyday over a crv/vtec.

dont' worry about extending the filter to find a high pressure area.. just take your bumper off. =)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bumper removal is not practical for daily driving, I was just wondering if anyone knew the best location for the intake. I am planning a ducted housing behind the bumper leading to the intake.
I just read MD's article on headers at kcimportracing and now I have a basic understanding of that part. one question, Hytech only lists a 4-2-1 for an ITR, would that still be beneficial to my application? SMSP didn't specify their applications that I could find.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I am having a difficult time finding purchase information on either of those headers.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I didn't know James lifted all of my articles over to his website at kcimportracing.com . I was aware of one...but he copied more? LOL. I hope they did some good over there. There are some websites however I would demand it be removed if they copied my work without my knowledge. Hey MorningZ I think it's time for a copyright on our articles...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the Spoon 4-2-1 header in the same league as the Hytech and the SMSP?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where can I find the Hytech or SMSP headers? I've found Hytechs web site and they have nothing listed for a GSR, unless the type R header will fit my car. I can't find anything about the SMSP header.
on another note, I've solidified at least one area of my project: custom intake tube, CTR rods, SMSP or Hytech header, 2.5" cat, 2.5" resonator, 2.5" dual-pass muffler.
I'm still looking for the correct pistons, cylinder sleeves, camshafts, valves, valve springs, throttle body, motor mounts, EMS, etc... (geez, it looks like I have so much to do, and only one lifetime to do it in!)

·
Registered
301 Posts
low end power? - itr pistons (don't know about them if you bore), ctr or skunk2 stage 1 cams, itr valves and springs, port the throttle body 68mm tapered to 66mm or 64mm. All your other choices look good, I'm planning the same setup, good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Can you get 800 HP out of a 4 cylinder???????

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I haven't set my goals for HP and torque yet, I was waiting until I had some idea of the possibilities. Thanks for all the help, keep it coming if anyone thinks of anything else.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Downshift on Aug/25/02 said:
Where can I find the Hytech or SMSP headers? I've found Hytechs web site and they have nothing listed for a GSR, unless the type R header will fit my car. I can't find anything about the SMSP header.

I'm still looking for the correct pistons, cylinder sleeves, camshafts, valves, valve springs, throttle body, motor mounts, EMS, etc... (geez, it looks like I have so much to do, and only one lifetime to do it in!)
Hytech's type R header is fitted for the GSR...this is an extra long header anyway and so you won't be using the stock mounting points anyway.

You choose the displacement you want, decide on bore/stroke, and choose the proper piston bore. If you exceed 81.25mm bore , you can't use any Honda piston. Low lobe separation angle cam specs like an ITR cam have more midrange than top end. The cam you choose then dictates the CR you need. Don't go over the cylinder pressure you need...i.e. choose a CR too high for the cam...it's as bad as going too low. TB? your IM plenum size determines the TB size. ECU reprogramming should be the very last step.

You know all that I just stated was in the articles BTW.

If you are looking for brand names for advice, you've come to the wrong website. We give you the design feature to look for. How much you want to get hyped by the marketing is up to you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've read the articles, and I've tried to research the things that I didn't understand. (they were a little over my head at first) I really want to thank you for all the responses you've given this noob. I've spent the last two years trying to build a turbo neon, then a deal came along on this GSR and I feel like it's a whole different world with the parts available and characteristics of this car.

I'm not looking for brand names, just technical assistance. I prefer to chose my own brands thank you, good or bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts