Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have some questions for ya. I have a 97 RS with 50k miles on it. Everything is stock except for my cai. It is a homemade comptech icebox "based" cai. I am wanting to go all motor in my car. I am not looking to do an engine swap or ls/vtec conversion, just upgrade everything for all motor performance. I am looking at getting the Hytech hybrid headers, with 2.5in exhaust, hopefully Greddy Evo. I read MD's articles on header-exhaust setup and saw that he said the Hytech hybrid headers were good for all motor. I also wanted to go with the 2.5in exhaust to have a modest amount of whp when I finish. I am looking to put my power in the low-midrange rpms. I am also looking at either the Crower 63402/403 cams or the Skunk2 Stage 1 cams. Again I want to keep my power in the low-midrange rpms. I read the article on cams and figured these would be the best way to go. I am in no way an expert at this stuff, so that is why I am bringing it to you guys. I want to know if the choices that I listed here are the way to go for my all motor dreams. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
A few things......
1. If you want big power and are set on all-motor then I hope you have deep pockets my friend. Big power on an ls N/A is pretty tough to get.
2. Skunk doesn't make cams for non-vtec.
3. why do you have gsr in your username if you drive an LS? Just kinda threw me for a loop there.
4. With the Hytech headers, you realize that you're going to have to butcher your EVO (is the EVO 2.5"? I though that is was 60mm?)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, that is a lot of stuff for that car. I wish I had that much cash. Right now, I just have basic asperations for my car, although a friend just told me that Greddy Evo is 2.38in. Is that true? If so, what are some good 2.5in exhausts for all motor setups?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlueTeg, my pockets aren't that deep, yet. I plan on making this project last a long time so that I can learn how to do all this stuff for myself. I don't really care how long it takes me, I could be 80 years old, and I would still be working on my teg! Oh, does Crower make non-vtec cams then?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
So you want a beefy midrange. What is your desired peak whp? I'm assuming this is a daily driver? How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Ghostgsr on Sep/07/02 said:
BlueTeg, my pockets aren't that deep, yet. I plan on making this project last a long time so that I can learn how to do all this stuff for myself. I don't really care how long it takes me, I could be 80 years old, and I would still be working on my teg! Oh, does Crower make non-vtec cams then?
Crower's 403 and 404 are for the non-vtec.
403= streetable, need ti valvesprings and retainers
404= not really the best cams for the street, you'll need all the ti goodies from the 403's + some serious fuel tuning as the 404's are known to cause a very rough idle

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, I know this will take a while to complete given my meager cash flow, but that deosn't bother me. My desired peak hp is probably between 200-250hp. By the way, for everyone that wants to know about my name, I joined TI while I was looking for my teg, I wanted to get a GSR, so I went with that name. Unfortunately, my dad said hell no cause of insurance and I had to get an RS instead. That is why my name is the way it is.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I will go with the 403's then cause I still will have the car as my daily driver. Where do I get the valvesprings and retainers? I know jack about engine stuff so please stay with me if I get to sounding dumb....I am dumb with this.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Holy sh!t.........200-250whp!
Not to bust you're bubble....but a 200 whp LS would be a trailer queen. That car would not be streetable if N/A.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no no, not whp, probably around 150 or so whp. I don't really know that much about how much hp an engine can produce, all I know is that my car has about 118 whp now. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have heard that Skunk2 makes good valvesprings and retainers. Is that true? If so I am going to buy them for my GS-R when I get go turbo and get cams and do engine internals.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Okay. It took for [email protected] ever but I finally found it.
Here's a post that I think will be VERY helpful for you. I deals w/ realistic N/A goal for a B1.

click here

I speak from experience on this one....Its not worth all the money for 130-150whp!.......If you want big time power (160whp+) F/I is the way to go on a non-vtec. Like Mike Delaney says in that post, The drag is a great at 10 lbs........if you want something a little more laid back you could look at the Greddy kit which runs at 7lbs. but will give you signicantly less whp vs. the Drag3

If you're hell bent on going N/A here's another link to a thread where Mike Delaney comments on the steps needed for tweaking a b18b for more whp.
advice on B18B

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
No prob buddy. Good luck on your project and keep us posted.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have one more question now, if I were to get a Drag 3 Turbo kit, to run 10-11 psi like MD said, would I need any engine mods like better injectors and fuel pump?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
You would in fact need both if you run the drag system.

Post in the FI forum and see if those guys know what specs of fuel pump and injectors you will need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts