Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Malaysia. In my country there’s no one using alcohol as a fuel 4 drag. Mostly adding some additive. So what mod should I do to my engine?? I have B18c1+head work (B18c5 parts,B16b cams).

13.56s(0-400m) is it too slow??

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Alcohol is a completely different fuel, you will need to upgrade, like everything fuel related. You need like two times as much acohol for the same amount of power as gasoline. Also you need to flush the lines out with gasoline afterwards and such.

Will this be a full race car?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Obviously, if he's running pure methanol then it can only be a race-only car. I don't get that impression though. I think he's running an ethanol-hydrocarbon fuel blend. Running a blend increases your octane rating and decreases your emissions. But too much in the blend actually reduces power at higher engine temps since the ethanol separates out from the gasoline, attracts water (alcohols are water soluble), and ruins the combustion efficiency. A 25% ethanol-gasoline blend makes less power than a 10% ethanol-gasoline blend as engine temps go up (something to think about in hot and humid Malaysia). You should run very rich with the jetting at the start.

Stoichiometric air fuel ratio for various alcohols:

methanol 6.5

ethanol 9.0

butyl-alcohol 11.2

Alcohol is corrosive and has a lower boiling point than hydrocarbon fuel. You need to upgrade the entire fuel system from the fuel tank to the injector, including lines and fuel pump. The gauges and sensors all have to be metered for alcohol. Obviously the ECU has to be recalibrated for alcohol. Stock gasoline daily driven engines can handle up to 10%-12% ethanol content without requiring these changes which is what you see in some pump gas. You need to deliver a lot more fuel. Vapor lock in the fuel line is the main problem since alcohol can boil off more easily. You shouldn't have any cold weather issues with running pure alcohol in Malaysia.

Alcohol runs cooler combustion temperatures and allows you to push the CR much higher (for instance, CART turbo methanol engines run 16:1 CR without any issues whereas F1 engines running on 102 octane pump gas at their current 19,000 rpm redlines are hard pressed to exceed 14.5:1 CR).

The rods and sleeves have to be beefed up if you are running serious alky.

All the big boosted import honda drag racing names run methanol-only race engines. Jojo Callos from California runs alky boosted Integra in the NOPI Nationals.Bob Norwood & Kenny Tran of JoTech in Dallas (who was going to run an Integra instead of Civic) teamed up to run an alky (methanol) Honda in the NHRA Summit Import series. . Lisa Kubo is running on alky but I think that they had to overcome reliability problems with it and so it's not an easy road to go down by any stretch. More than ever fuel tuning with the ECU becomes paramount. Do not tune based on exhaust gas temp. alone since it can fool you and you can have a meltdown engine and still have cooler temp that you're used to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what u mean by cold weather issues ??
do i have any option beside alcohol?
have any ex? i mean any company or personal drag car that success in this matter.

**we r using 2nd gen civic(cheap) n try to learn more bout drag race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.