Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to clean out the interior of the air vents? Mine smell slightly funky. Don't they suck air from below the windshield? Can you run water in there without hurting anything?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I wouldn't use water...if you can find the inlet might try some lysol or something that won't be a standing substance and one that doesn't promote mold or something of the like...
Later,
Jared

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
that smell is usually because of the conditions that ac creates in the vents allows things to grow like fungus. but since your ac isnt on all the time the conditions change and those things that grow die and smell.(they all so smell why they are alive)

so yeah spray some lysol or other anti mold\fungus substance

·
Registered
318 Posts
hahahaha....that sounds like a prank that i would.....im gonna have to use that one...its like watching grumpy old men all over again!..lol

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sorry to bring this from the semi-death, but how do you spray the air ricirculate box? I found it behind the glovebox, but the way the lysol is setup, it sprays in a wide pattern.. therefore it hits all the electrical connections as well. I can't take out the glovebox because I don't have the right socket length adapters. should I just spray with no fear? or is there a better solution?

·
Registered
685 Posts
A good way to prevent the mildew smell is to run your heater on high after using your AC. This prevents the condensation buildup which leads to the mildew growth.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
timmy8151 on Apr/26/04 said:
A good way to prevent the mildew smell is to run your heater on high after using your AC. This prevents the condensation buildup which leads to the mildew growth.
um....warm moist climates are probably one of the worst breading grounds for mildew/mold/fungus/etc...so condensation from AC then instantly heating it up....not good in the long run

·
Registered
699 Posts
90_integraLS on Apr/27/04 said:
um....warm moist climates are probably one of the worst breading grounds for mildew/mold/fungus/etc...so condensation from AC then instantly heating it up....not good in the long run
Heat + condensation = evaporation. Normally i just turn off the AC and let fresh air pass through, but using heated air does the same thing, and cools the engine off :p

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
or you could just deal with the fact that theres gonna be a little bit of a smell the first couple minutes you run the A/C, pretty much no matter what you do. This goes for any car made under the sun.

If the smell persists for more than a minute or two, then you might wanna go with the lysol trick.

We had a *****y old vacuum cleaner that just reeked like ass whenever you ran it, shot a can of lysol down it, problem solved.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Well the most effective solution would be to remove the Dash and pull all the ducts. then get a solution of bleach and water and a long handled brush. Scrub those F-ers out, and allow to thoroughly dry in the sun. Then do the same for the blower, because it is probably loaded with dust/bacteria too.

What? too much work?
Bah.... use lysol then.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Go to the Shaperimage.com and search the Ionic Breeze. This thinkis great. I never endorse these kinds of magic gadgets but I got one for my house (buy one get one free kinda thing) They gave me a big one for the bedroom or Living room and a small one for the bathroom. And Let me tell you.... one night we had 5 alarm Chili... Well without going into the details lets just say the BR got a work out and that tiny Ionic Breeze did the trick.
So my sister got one for her car cause she is allergic to mold, Pollen etc etc and it workds perfect. I think it costs like 60 bux or something like that. but it's made for the car plugs into the cig lighter.
Also I think clorox clean up is better than Lysol. You can also remove the fan unit (below the glove box) Spray the cleaner in there and put it back and turn on the blower.
Also check that fan anyway. I had a lot of CRAP in mine once.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
There is some sh*t u can buy @ the auto shops that is specifically to get rid of that smell... it runs like a recharge... i think, but not sure that it will run the recharge and also clean out the smell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts