Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was off-roading with some friends(obviously not in my teg) we got on the topic of air lockers. I dont think these guys know much about automobiles in general. But I was wondering what exactly an air locker does(does it force an open differential to act like a LSD through pressure?) and if anyone has ever heard of one used from a performance aspect? I know the ones I have read about are usually about the same price or > then a nice LSD but I'm kinda curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
An air locker (ARB makes the most popular) allows the user to toggle between an open differential (wheels spinning independant of each other and a "locked" differential (wheels spinning a the exact same speed). These are primarily found in the front differentials of off-road/4 wheel drive vehicles. It allows you to drive with the wheels unlocked on the road (much better handling, ability to turn corners without lighting the tires) while also allowing you to lock up the differential so that the truck can continue to put power to the ground while one of the wheels are off the ground. No sure the usefulness in a teg much less the availability. Hope that helps. I do some off-roading when I'm not rocking the teg.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks much, clears up the situation alot. I think the lockers are based off of differential size, but I don't see them being applicable performance-wise because of the fact you need a air compressor, and if you were serious about handling you could just as easily get a lsd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts