Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the best connection for an air/fuel guage.The ECU or the oxygen sensor and which wire. The problem is that I dont think I have enough wire to reach the oxygen sensor in the engine bay. So I need to find an alternate route.
Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do it by the ECU. Just take off the kickplate and it's right there. ..along with 50 other wires, but you shouldn't have trouble.

If you have an OBD-1 ECU it's the White/Red wire closest to the passenger seat. (There are 2 White/Red wires)

·
Registered
977 Posts
hey dont they give u enough wire ?
im planning to do it and im wondering which one do u get a better reading ?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
They will give you the same reading because they are from the same wire. But its not like the sutometer is gonna help you anyways. But I'm just answerign your question.

I know you didn't ask but here is some info anyways:

Quote: from another board that I posted the information on. There's basically two different kinds of o2 sensors out there. There's the narrowband o2, which basically all stock cars use. And there's the wideband o2 sensor that the tuners use.

The narrowband o2 is basically used for emmisions and not tuning, thats why people say that the autometer A/F ratio gauge is garbage. Its range of measurement is very limited and narrow, hence the name narrowband o2 sensor.

The wideband o2 sensor is basically what it says. A wideband. It will read readings anywhere from 10.0 to ~ 26.0 A/F ratio. thats good enough to tune any car. Its also very good at telling you whether you are running very lean or very rich. Whereas the narrow band just tells you are running one or the other.

Here is the narrowbands range:

Here is the wideband o2's range:

Here is the wibeband compared to the narrowband:

The wideband is the purple line at the top.

So to answer your question, no you do not need a better o2 sensor for boost. But the better wideband o2 sensor is better for tuning. they cost about the same. But you cannot just slap on the wideband o2 sensor on your car and expect it to work like a charm. The wideband o2 sensor has 5 wires and requires a controller box like this FJO controller box:

Here is what the wideband o2 sensor looks like:

The stock narrowband o2 sensoronly has 3 wires.

Basically, get one or the other. I'm getting the wideband for my car with the controller box unit and display to show the correct A/F ratio and dumping my autometer crap.
[/quote]

·
Registered
890 Posts
In defense of the Blinkity Autometer, I will say it is a great last minute warnign device. You don't have to look o see if your runnign lean, (orange,)or know if your goign to have slight to heavy damage, (Red at full throttle.) I wouldn't buy one for trying to set the right air/fuel ratio, I'd buy a digital one for that, and get the autometer for at the track, tiems when you can't watch those gauges, and have to be reling on raw color, it is the at the glance ordeal.

The wideband is a very, very, very nice tool, if it weren't so much i'd have one, but it is the same ordeal. Maybe its just me but at a 13 second pass id on't have time to stare down those gauges.

·
Registered
910 Posts
they arent even good for last minute warnings either. They are useless. lets say you have a turbo and you're at an a/f ratio of 14, it will read rich so you think you're fine right? wrong, you dont want to be close to 14. rich is rich to those gauges, how rich is what you need to know which it cant tell you.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Like I said fine tune. Two LED's will actually look as if they were in phase when its close to 0.92-0.94v Just becuase its green doesn't mean its good. That gauge is to amke sure you don't go to far under. Bottom line if your changing your fuel control, and you aren't fine tunning it, and if you aren't keeping on it with a turbo especially, your goign to have problems. My turbo car has many issues when it starts getting cool here in florida. I have to pull 3-4% out of the car just to get it back to 11.7:1, so i do understand what your talkign about, but you missed my point entirely.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i tried installing mine today and i have no clue what im doing wrong. i had the power and ground connected to the battery with 2 long wires. However, i noticed that there are 2 white wires with a red stripe, and 2 solid white wires. im trying to install this thing on a 2001 gsr. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i also noticed that whenever the wire would not touch the ecu, the meter would stay on the green sign.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts