Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever hooked this up? I want to get one and hook it up but I dont have any experience with it. I was trying to look for an article but didnt find anything. Can someone help?

·
Registered
51 Posts
im sorry i cant help you with the install, but from what i understand, any air/fuel gauge that is out today, is basically worthless. The current gauges that are offered cannot accuratly and efficently give you correct measurments and are more of a light show then anything else.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
this is true, thanks to a certain someone for clearing this up to me before i purchased one

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is how to hook the guage up.....red wire= power wire, people usally run this to the fuse box where the altanator is. Purple wire= is to the o2 sensor, which is located behind the headers. The o2 sensor has 3 wires you need to splice the purple wire into the WHITE wire. The black is for grounding. There should be one more wire and you dont need to use that...if there is not another one then its all good. Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Turbobug on Sep/16/02 said:
im sorry i cant help you with the install, but from what i understand, any air/fuel gauge that is out today, is basically worthless. The current gauges that are offered cannot accuratly and efficently give you correct measurments and are more of a light show then anything else.

Hope this helps
Can someone please elaborate as to why they are so useless? It's a little hard to believe considering they are so widely used.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im going to post this up...Im obviously from the VW world, and Omori meter is a known repetuable manufacturer and is producing some OEM look gauges.

I was also interested in a Air/Fuel gauge, however, they wont be producing one. So I emailed them...heres what they said about it...

"-----Original Message-----

I know that you dont produce an Air/Fuel gauge, but I was hoping you could help me. I plan on buying your VW OEM gauges, specifically the EGT and boost gauges. I would also like to buy and air/fuel gauge, but since you will not be producing one, im forced to look elsewhere. Could you please reccomend a company that produces quality air/fuel gauges? I know Autometer produces such gauges, but from what I understand, their gauge is more of a light show then anything reliable and accurate.

Thank you for your time

John Purdy"

This was their response...
"John,

I assume this is for a VW application, where air-fuel ratios are controlled via chip tuning, so it's basically set-and-forget. In all honesty the in-vehicle air-fuel ratio gauges you see on the market (and believe me we've tried most all of them) are not very accurate, and response is poor. Even if the sensors are of good quality, the readings you see at the gauge are simply not displayed fast enough. Systems that tap into your OEM sensor are not something I'd recommend. If the gauge uses it's own proprietary sensor, that is an improvement, but another problem you face is that the sensors are very delicate. If you are, for example, running extremely rich, the sensor will quickly foul and read inaccurately, and it will have to be replaced. The sensors that can withstand some abuse and have an accurate service life of more than a matter of hours are EXTREMELY expensive, hence the cost of some high end standalone units moving into the thousands. There is no substitute for a true standalone wide band air-fuel ratio meter with sophisticated data logging and graphing capability and a few hours of dyno time. I know I wouldn't trust my engine with any less.

Honestly, I can't think of a unit on the market that's packaged into a standard gauge housing that I'd rely on to monitor my engine safely and accurately. If you are shopping, you want to make sure any unit you choose uses a wide-band sensor separate from your OEM sensors, and that it provides a LINEAR response. The units we've tested are somewhat accurate within a certain range, but they become less so as you move the the extremes of readings. You want a unit that is linear, therefore equally accurate at all points on the A/F scale. The A/F gauge we developed required a 60mm housing, and it met our standards for response and accuracy, but again, it was a situation where the sensors had to be replaced after X number of hours, and that wasn't good enough for us. At that point, with pricing over the $600 mark, and climbing up near standalone units after improving the sensor, we decided to pull the plug on the project.

Regards,

Greg
Director of Operations
Omori North America
www.omori-na.com
Wholesale Inquiries only: (401) 255-8661 M-F 9-5 pm EST
Tech Support: (401) 783-9029 M-F 10-4 pm EST"

This pretty much convinced me not to get one, so now im debating on my 3rd gauge....

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
only accurate ones are 5V ones. The 1V that Autometer makes and I have are pretty useless. If you want something that looks pretty blinking back and forth, go for it. Or else, its useless.

HERE is a link to SHO on a good discussion on why its a bad idea. Pay attention to what Neouser says about them.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Here. I would get the full throttle modified Autometer. This will be more helpful as a tuning aid than the standard one. I agree that the stock sensor isn't accurate for tuning, but I wouldn't say that one of these gauges is totally useless. You can connect the O2 sensor wire and ground at the ECU - this will more accurately reflect what the ECM is reading.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ChopstiX on Sep/16/02 said:
damn.. how the heck do i get the wires from gauge pod to behind my headers lol
Threw your fire wall hole under the drivers side

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The stock O2 sensor no way has the resolution needed to operate such a gauge. All it was designed to do was read rich, good, and lean.

The gauge is only as accurate as the sensor and it doesn't matter what fancy gauge you get if you're hooking it up to the stock O2 it's worthless. I'd save the air/fuel tuning for the dyno. A wideband O2 which would actually be useful in operating an air/fuel gauge would run you about $500-$1000.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wired mine to a wire off of the ecu where all the air/fuel sensors are combined into 1 wire that way you get a more accurate reading of all the o2 sensors combined.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Mike D posted these pics a couple months ago.

Stock O2 sensor range.

Pretty useless, all it reads is rich, good, and lean. Nothing in between and that's all your A/F gauge is going to see. It serves it's purpose in the motor but for tuning and monitoring purposes it's not going to tell you anything. Whatever fancy gauge you get is purely driven off the sensor and there is no way for it to be any more accurate. No matter where you plug it in that's all the stock O2's are going to give you.

Wideband vs. regular heated O2 sensor (voltage readouts)

You can see why wideband O2's are the sensors of choice for accurate air/fuel ratio tuning on the dyno. Using the stock O2's you're just decieving yourself into thinking you know what's going on in your engine. But whatever sells gauges I guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard the APEXi air/fuel controller can do a lot of tuning by controlling the electronics on the ecu. As with the VTEC controller. Which come with LCD gauges that show up when it's turned on. I would think these would be more accurate but expensive.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The Apexi V-AFC is not a direct air/fuel controller. The AFC stands for Air Flow Converter. All it does is modify MAP (manifold absolute pressure) signals which will fool the ECM into adding or subtracting fuel as needed.

The tuning and air/fuel ratio reading must still be done with a wideband O2 sensor on a dyno. You cannot tune it on it's own.

·
Registered
987 Posts
kelly on Sep/16/02 said:
Here. I would get the full throttle modified Autometer. This will be more helpful as a tuning aid than the standard one. I agree that the stock sensor isn't accurate for tuning, but I wouldn't say that one of these gauges is totally useless. You can connect the O2 sensor wire and ground at the ECU - this will more accurately reflect what the ECM is reading.
you posted this link......is it worth it?and i was reading off SHO,that a dude bought and had it welded in another os sensor from a GM.would this be help full.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts