Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I just bought a 2000 SE and the air conditioner doesn't work! I have never had a car with air conditioning so I don't know how to diagnose it.

When I turn the heat control slider to cold and press the A/C button, the light (for the button) doesn't come on and no colder air comes out.

I checked the 10amp fuse in the motor compartment along with the 2 relays in the motor compartment pertaining to the A/C -- all checked out fine.

Anybody have any idea what's going on??

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
More than likley its just disconnected from the switch.

Although my A/C little light doesnt work my A/C still comes on perfectly fine. My advise would be to turn the A/C on press the switch and go outside and try to hear your compressor kick on. Also look for the condensor fan to kick on, it will be the driver side fan. You could just have a leak and all the freon leaked out. BUT, check the simplest fix first, just pull the center consol thing out and check to see if the wires are connected.

You can also use a test light and see if there is power going to the wires, this would also be another easy fast thing to check. You said you've checked all your fuses, again, I would take a test light or volt meter and test and make sure power is going to the fuse.

Try these things then report back, im sure we can help you out!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
also make sure you have the air on, the A/C won't turn on otherwise :) Its a stupid thing but everybody makes crazy mistakes like that every once in awhile.

Also, about the condenser fan, it won't come on with the A/C usually. It turns on and off intermittently, whenever the A/C is on.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
NicCantDecide on Sep/11/07 said:
Also, about the condenser fan, it won't come on with the A/C usually. It turns on and off intermittently, whenever the A/C is on.

Yes, but If you do not have hte A/C on the condensor fan will NEVER turn on. It will NOT turn on as soon as the A/C is turned on, but like the radiator fan, it will turn on intermittently as the radiator fan does(with the A/C on).

LOL sorry if that was confusing...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,

Actually I was stupid and didn't have the fan on, LOL.

But now I brought the car to the garage to change all the belts and pullies, and since then, my AC is REALLY not working now lol.

The light doesn't come on at all now (even when I turn the fan on!!!). The guy said it's low freeon... yet it stoped working after they messed with it.

Can low freeon make the AC not work at all (not just not blow cold) but not turn on???

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can low freeon make the AC not work at all (not just not blow cold) but not turn on???
To awnswer this question, yes.... Freon acts partly as a lubercant for your A/C compressor. Loss of freon means loss of lubercant means siezed compressor...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the relays and they're ok...

Maybe they installed the belts incorrectly?? Sounds odd though since they are on and moving...

Now I'm worried that my compressor is seized!!! I only ran it for 30 minutes to see if it would get "cold" like the mechanics said. =\

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You're likely out of R134a (refrigerant). Start the car, pop the hood and look at your ac compressor pulley. The outside of the pulley should be spinning as the belt runs it but the center of the pulley should be stationary. Now turn on your AC and turn on the blower fan on whatever setting you want. Now, you should have the left (if you're standing in front of the car) cooling fan running. Have a look at your AC compressor pulley now - the center of the pulley should now be spinning along with the outer part of the pulley. If it's not you have one of 2 problems: one, you're low on refrigerant and the ac compressor clutch isn't engaging as a protective measure to keep from destroying the compressor itself, or 2 the compressor clutch itself has failed. Take your car to a shop that can inject a dye into the AC system that shows up under UV light - that will determine if you have a leak and where it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.