Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was in the process of taking off my cat when both of the spring bolts connecting it to the header broke. Now my question is are these studs or just bolts. If they are just bolts is the nut welded to the flange on the header? If I wack it with a hammer long enough will it come off/if I dremel then wack. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
JohnnyRed on Mar/10/04 said:
Ok, I was in the process of taking off my cat when both of the spring bolts connecting it to the header broke. Now my question is are these studs or just bolts. If they are just bolts is the nut welded to the flange on the header? If I wack it with a hammer long enough will it come off/if I dremel then wack. Thanks in advance.
the nut is welded onto the header...

·
Registered
269 Posts
The bolts broke probably because they were rusted to the flange. Heat the bolts up with an oxy/acetylene torch or mapp gas and that should loosen them up enough to remove them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I even brought the torch just b/c I thought I might need it. Too late for that now, I'm thinking I'll cut flush with a dremel then drill out a hole and replace with a nut and bolt. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Use a saws-all. Came in handy when removing the seized bolt on the bottom the the strut during a coilover installation. It can probably do the trick here.

·
Registered
269 Posts
take a dremel and file a slit in the top of the broken bolt. heat it up red and screw it out with a screw driver.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
....that might work aswell...I'm thinking saws-all or dremel and drill. As for the bolts on the cat, they're pretty well fused on there, so I'm thinking it's a good excuse to get a highflow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
well if you are getting a high flow then don't worry about getting the bolts out. Other wise the heat up dremmel and screw driver method gets my vote.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might as well update this....My car is in the body shop so I dont have time to work on the header bolts, but I now have a high flow cat in the mail and I should get it monday. The car should be back tuesday (if he will just freekin start to work on it!!!) then I'm gonna dremel/saws-all the 2 broken ones off the header and then maybe have to drill a new hole. Thanks for the imput

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
you can get new springs and bolts at pepboys or autozone pretty cheaply. just bring the old ones with so you get the right size.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll be the one who suggests more power than is absolutely necessary. Take a die grinder to it. A dremel will take you twice as long, and it's not as cool sounding. Then get a big hammer and a punch for any parts that are uncooperative.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont have an angle, or die grinder
so I'll have to dremel nuts. Atleast I can fix it though

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I just fixed them last night....I ended up taking my dremel and cutting most of the nut off, then I ground the rest down flush with the header flange and the rest of the nut just fell right out. It was a piece of cake and took about 30 min to do both. So if anyone breakes these in the future it's simple to fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts