Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this '95 Special Edition w/ the usual exhuast and intake mods. I wanted to put an aftermarket clutch in it. I was told that it was dangerous to do it myself and that if I didn't have a professional do it that my sh*t would break for one reason or another. I find that to be the most bullsh*t I've ever heard. Why would it break if a non professional were to install it? Now, I also own an '87 Mazda RX-7 and have done enough clutch changes in it to do it blindfolded. Now WHY in the hell is it "dangerous to install an aftermarket clutch on my own"?

Matt P.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
for the same reason my mother thought it was dangerous for me to install my suspension....

some people just dont get it, they would rather spend good money having something done for them instead of learning and working to do it yourself.

if you say you have done many installs in a previous car, then F*ck them, go for it!

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
all I know is that with the right research, tools, and patience you can probably do most things yourself.

I have never installed a clutch before, but I will be doing so without hesitation when it gets a little warmer and when someone buys my wheels so I can buy a clutch....

but if you have done so many in the past go for it, its not that complicated......

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I want to see somebody rebuild their automatic transmission at home and post pics.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
doing a clutch install its generally as hard as it is time consuming. pulling the axles, dropping the tranny is a PITA but after that its cake

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
hpracing007 on Feb/07/04 said:
I want to see somebody rebuild their automatic transmission at home and post pics.
that is one HARD thing to do on any car...auto transmissions i have heard are one of the things that very few people are willing to screw with. i have seen a pic of one apart once, and the amount of parts is incredible.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
i installed a lsd in my tranny :p If youve got the tools, its all really straightforward. Axles are really the only thing that can be a *****..... the axle nuts like to seize, and sometimes getting it from out of the trans is a pain. Ive found that taking the ball joint tool, flipping it over and putting it against the axle brings it out with a solid whack.

·
Registered
480 Posts
put it this way. you screw it up, you know who to blame.
you should be fine, be smart and take your time. use loctite on aluminum flywheels and on the PP bolts. TQ everything by hand, have someone help you with that since its free floating. impact guns are cool but they can harm more then help sometimes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Qazvick on Feb/07/04 said:
Now WHY in the hell is it "dangerous to install an aftermarket clutch on my own"?
Here's why you should not do this on your own:
Because you're putting a mechanic out of work. Any time you do something for yourself, you're taking food off the table of a professional and his family.

So similarly, you should always take ALL your car work to a professional: timing belt changes, oil changes, even replacing burned-out bulbs.

You also shouldn't do anything at home for yourself, like cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, feeding the pets, making dinner, etc., because you're putting someone out of work every time you do that. Don't even brush your own teeth, because you'll put a dental hygienist out of work.

Bottom line: never lift a finger to do anything for yourself. Always hire a professional to do things for you.

[/sarcasm]

Basically, a lot of "professionals" hate DIYers because they think they're getting screwed out of business by them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
cluch is really easy ive done a couple my second one only took like 4 hours. it can be consuming if uve never done it. its not dangerous just as long as u watch what bolts u take out to pull the trans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts