Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory OEM oil pressure sending unit has only one wire that goes to it to run the idiot light now i am trying to replace that with aftermarket oil pressure unit so I can run aftermarket oil pressure gauge.
I had the gauge working as far as it light up but the oil pressure is not reading correctly as it does not change with RPM.

This gauge came with a 3 wire connector but since the OEM factory oil unit only needs one wire hooked to it then can't i just make sure signal wire is hooked to the oil unit?
The gauge side also has 3 wire connector so what would i need to hook to that just a run a 12v hot wire and ground from the gauge and then make sure the signal wire coming from the oil pressure sending unit is also connected to the gauge??

· Administrator
4,624 Posts
My assumption is that you picked up an electronic gauge (requires the use of a sending unit), vs acquiring a mechanical gauge (copper oil line running from engine to gauge). If using an electrical gauge, the sending unit that came with the gauge will need to be installed. It can't just be hooked to the OEM single-wire hookup. The factory oil pressure switch is a simple grounded NC (normally closed) switch that illuminates the light below a specific pressure threshold with ground resistance. Above a specific pressure, the light in the dash goes out.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its electronic. So i know the gauge itself has to have 3 wires one for 12v source, signal wire (running up from oil sending unit), and one for ground.
But it sounds like unlike the factory oil sender unit the aftermarket one has to also have a 12v source and ground in order to be able to send readings up to the gauge (via the signal wire connecting them) ?

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hot sytem 7 color dial X0027S5PGX

After more research i think would been better get something like the Defi where you have the exposed terminal connections instead of this 3 wire ultra high gauge wire thats a pain to attach to bigger 22 gauge.

· Administrator
4,624 Posts
Hot sytem 7 color dial X0027S5PGX

After more research i think would been better get something like the Defi where you have the exposed terminal connections instead of this 3 wire ultra high gauge wire thats a pain to attach to bigger 22 gauge.
I wouldn't have trusted that unit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts