Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 1994 GSR teg with minor mods CAI/Cat Back/Advanced timing so forth and my mate is selling his Autronic Computer and he offerd to sell it to me for a very cheap price, My question is...

Is there any gain that i would get from putting a full aftermarket computer in my car with such minor mods? is it worth buying? Thanks guys

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
do you know what it's for and how to use it?

if you don't know how to use it, then it's not worth it.

same answer as this person with basic bolt-ons (i/h/c/e) and for a VAFC (piggyback).

it gets monotonous to say again and again but we did cover piggybacks vs. standalones in the Common Topics here, air fuel ratios tuning in the articles in the dyno tuning section, and basic dyno tuning in the article's dyno tuning section.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i know what the computer does and yes it is a tuning tool.
But for my particular application would i be wasting money buying a stand alone computer with my basic mods? when you can just buy a piggy back computer like the Vafc 2 and Greedy Emanage for half the price. I know the stand alone is CAPABLE of doing allot more then these units but would i be able to use any more then just air fuel tuning with the stand alone?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
ginseng on Mar/22/04 said:
yes i know what the computer does and yes it is a tuning tool.
But for my particular application would i be wasting money buying a stand alone computer with my basic mods? when you can just buy a piggy back computer like the Vafc 2 and Greedy Emanage for half the price. I know the stand alone is CAPABLE of doing allot more then these units but would i be able to use any more then just air fuel tuning with the stand alone?
Thanks
Ask yourself if its worth it? If it is, buy it. If its not, then don't.

The topic is discussed so many times before that I'm sure if you read and understood any of it, you would be able to make an educated opinion on the purchase.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
ginseng on Mar/23/04 said:
But for my particular application would i be wasting money buying a stand alone computer with my basic mods?

when you can just buy a piggy back computer like the Vafc 2 and Greedy Emanage for half the price.

I know the stand alone is CAPABLE of doing allot more then these units but would i be able to use any more then just air fuel tuning with the stand alone?
1. ask yourself why they are 1/2 the price of the standalone. it's because they can only do a lot less than 1/2 the job. (i.e. fine tuning resolution: # of points for adjustments and a MAP sensor based system rather than a direct injector duty cycle control)

2. the higher you go, the computers will have ignition control maps, redline control, other sensors control like deactivating the CEL for the second O2 sensor in OBD2 : the piggybacks don't have that.

3. if you can't program it yourself and get in over your head, even though the standalone has the potential to gain more in the right hands, you won't get those gains out of inexperience.

4. we've said it a million times with repeated posts of dynos and acceleration times: if you tune the package to it's optimum, you can gain significant power. We showed that if you got the right header-cat-exhaust and intake, a B18C can gain as much as 15-18 whp just from optimizing the fuel and ignition maps if you know how to adjust the right sections. If you have no clue about what you're doing then you won't get that 15 whp.

please read these:

hondata vs. VAFC (a piggyback)

hondata vs other standalones

the discussions in these threads will bring up the relevant info for you to consider in your decision.

even though it's a hondata, it is representative of your middle of the road almost a standalone vs. a piggyback and other standalones.

Both of these were in the CT's.

The 4 levels of tuning tools are:

1. piggybacks (MAP sensor based adjustment very limited and cannot increase fuel delivery)

2. Buddy Club Racing Computer (semi-standalone that controls both fuel tables if you have VTEC (1 fuel table if you are nonVTEC) via direct injector duty cycle commands, VTEC switchover, and redline but not ignition tables)

3. Hondata/ Techtom (can burn on a stock compatible EPROM completely new programs and use stock ancillary controls)

4. Full Standalone Computers (can write completely new programs but have to also write your own ancillary controls)

The last 3 are way way better than a mail order/ebay "best guess" chip (EPROM).

You can use the piggybacks to lean down some tuning rpm points on a "best guess" chip BUT you can't change their fuel trim (calibration for bigger injector change) or alter the ignition tables with a standalone or alter the redline.

The higher you go the more flexibility and control you have if you understand how to use them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks MD that was the answer that i was looking for..

The Computer is a full stand alone capable of more then i would know and i would not attempt at tuning it myself.
Just got to consider what i am gonna do in the future weather its sell the car or rebuild and make my decision.
Thanks again for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts