Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading last night about the aem ems management and it looks pretty good, the guy from Colletti motorsports says it will prob be the best way to go for management for my setup im gonna have, im gonna add a few more things to it to but still lookin around, we will see, thanx

Don

·
Registered
948 Posts
Besure to get the EMS for 96-99 tegs, its an OBDII unit.

The 92-95 is an OBDI unit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah im deff goin with it, it all sounds good plus im gonna want the 2 step it has in it, god i love that, and when done im gonna take my car to colletti racing to have them tune it and slap her on the dyno, man i cant wait till next spring, if you guys want good service, i think colletti motorsports is good cause they acctually respond to ya in emails unlike a lot of others, thanx for looking

Don

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah kinda figured i would find someone who had some problems with it, im looking like i siad for the best management for the setup im gonan have so thanx michael for your post, its much appreciated, please feel free to drop any of your idea michael that you have, like i siad lookin for the best setup i can go with, please let me know cause from what i see on your posts, you deff know a lot, thanx again

Don

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
DaBoyNBlu's experience is from doing a good amount of tuning himself with a basemap not intended for his setup...then going to a shop for fine tuning...probably full throttle runs and get any kinks out...

LS_Don4 doesnt sound like he is planning to do any tuning himself, probably just loading up a basemap and driving it to the shop...or perhaps they are installing as well...

2 different situations in my opinion, but nonetheless it would be good to know that the aem unit is very complex and not exactly beginner friendly..

·
Registered
411 Posts
LS_Don4,
I purchased the AEM EMS 30-1020 and it works wonderfully. I must say the best thing I ever did was to get a certified AEM professional to do my initial tune and a tune checkup three months later. Because of that, I have had NO problems with using it.

The EMS is a very powerful tool for tuners. It can do almost anything you want BUT since it is very powerful you can also blow your motor very easily. In one or two clicks of a mouse you can detonate your motor.

If you are trying to do it yourself you will need to learn your engine and motor very well and learn all about EFI in order to be sucessful with it.

After a year now I know most of the options of the unit and how things affect eachother but I could not go out and do a brand new base map for a car. That takes years and skill and schooling to do. That is why I pay big bucks for tuners on my car.

flip.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Located in the common topics, you may want to take a peak at this thread as well. It has a lengthly discussion about the pros/cons of the AEM EMS as well as other engine management systems.

The more informed you are, the better.

[edit]

Errr. Frogot to link it! haha

Here we go...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks fellas, like i siad im gonna build the motor up myself, and have it balanced/blueprinted, making sure everything is gonna be fine there, but like i siad, first off i wanna be there when they tune this cause i wanna learn all the do's and dont's of it, once again thanx for your info and have a great one

Don

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
it's not like i'm the only one that's had problems with it.

i haven't found a single person that's been 100% happy with the aem ems. it's pretty much impossible to be that happy with it--it is, invariably, a pain in the ass.

and for any "typical" setup for a honda, it's like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

and i don't know what you're talking about with the base maps... i was using the closest base map to my setup--which is the best you can do. they offer about 4 base maps for each ecu they sell. you're NOT going to get one that even remotely matches your setup. you just pick one and run with it, and hope and pray it will at least crank and idle your car.... kinda. that's as good as it gets with the aem ems out-of-the-box.

and if you don't plan on tuning any of it yourself... then expect to have 3-4 grand of dyno/tuner money in addition to the grand or so you spend on the ecu. because the aem ems is ALWAYS a 20-30 hour tuning job, start-to-finish. no matter how aem trained the tuner is. there's simply just so much to do, it takes that much time. and btw, i did take my car to a tuner for the WOT tuning.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
i didnt intend to sound like it was a simple thing to use, or that it was easy...sorry if i did..

i realize that there are a limited variety of base maps, and remembering what was available i assumed whichever one you ended up with was probably very different than your setup

when i was looking into the aem, they actually did have a basemap that pretty much was my setup...but i think i was probably just lucky

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Mar/24/04 said:
and for any "typical" setup for a honda, it's like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.
Haha! Thats one of the best comments I have heard about the unit for just any street driven car. I local tuner loved the thing. But he did mention that it was a bit overkill for my setup. LOL!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am having one installed in my car right now. The place I took it to said it wasn't that difficult of a process on my car. Is that because I have an obd1 setup or was I misinformed? After reading DaBoyNBlu's comment about 20 to 30 hours, I'm kinda scared I might have to sell my car to pay for the install.

·
Registered
910 Posts
installing it isnt the hard part, you just plug it in. getting it tuned and setup properly is what takes time.

my tuner took about 3 hours to tune mine. but it was far from being set up properly, I probably spent another 15 hours or so of tweaking and tuning. so i only paid for 3 hours of tuning time. things probably would have been way different if i had it tuned by an AEM factory trained tuner.

I wouldnt worry about paying for 20-30 hours of dyno time..lol.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
2-3 hours is for WOT.

you've got idle, cranking, part throttle, o2 feedback, vtec, accel/decel fuel, and then any extras you want fixed up, like traction control, nitrous, etc. and all these things are different (and sometimes very different) from car to car... like i tried sak's idle settings, and it wouldn't run my car at all--and we're both supercharged b18c's with similiar injectors.

of course it's 2-3 hours WOT--b/c at WOT, the aem ems is just like any other system. it's everything else that has to be done to make a fuel injected car work that also has to be done with aem ems... all the other stuff that's already been figured out for systems that use hondata ecu's.

so... 2-3 hours of tuning time from the time it's hooked up to the time it's driving anywhere near stock-like... yes, you were sadly misinformed.

and ask sak how long it takes even aem-trained tuners to make it work smoothly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts