gsr or ls is 2.75"
type R is 3"

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
b18b model CAI's are generally 2.5".
b18c1 model CAI's are generally 2.75".
b18c5 model CAI's are generally 3".

They're differently sized b/c each engine has different demands and engine packages. Each intake is desgined (or copied) for a good medium between intake flow velocity and intake flow capacity.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
new IM math article up in the Performance section.....gets into what is ram tuning an intake and IM? how to calculate the best IM runner length for the peak torque location you want, the best intake diameter for your redline and displacement, and intake runner length for your peak torque location....

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Now all we need is for some people with *cough* *cough* Skunk2, JG Edelbrock, *cough*, ZEX, and other aftermarket intake manifolds to measure the volumes of these so we can compare and contrast.

Don't you have a *cough* Skunk2 IM, Tuan? *cough* *cough*

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
it's installed cough cough...what are the reference points on the outside to measure the dimensions?... since we all want to measure from the same starting point consistently for comparison and I can't measure the runner length from inside the plenum when it's installed. I also have the GSR IM in my garage but I'm not going to take it's 3 sections apart to measure the short and long runners from inside the plenum either.

How do you want to measure the plenum? take the diameter at the widest point and the length? so volume will be calculated for a cylider : area of a circle x length. So it won't be exact since the ends taper.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I think that measuring the plenum as one volume, and the runners as another would be good. I would measure the actual volume of the plenum by filling the plenum with something, like lukewarm water. I guess this could be done by sealing off the side with the TB, and filling to about where the runners begin. Lets try to be as exact as possible. I would take several measurements and average them out. I can't think of any other way to fill the IM, drain it, then measure the amount that filled it. I guess the runners would have to be solved mathematically. Filling THAT with water would be a *****...unless I wanted to sacrifice a Skunk2 IM. I guess you could use a balloon type thing to measure the runners....DURNIT...there's an approach to this I've seen in physics class and it's not coming back to me.

I'm honestly thinking about buying a Skunk2 IM, solely for informational purposes, as I don't currently have the budget to complete the rest of the engine package that I want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts