Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 700w 2 channel amp with 2 10's. Should I buy a mono amp for the subs and use my existing amp to power the 4 x 6.5 speakers I got? Or buy a 4 channel amp to power the speakers and leave the 700w2 for the subs.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You probably need to give some more info for anyone to help you. What is the purpose of the 4 speakers? Front only? Front & rear? What's the recommended power RMS for each speaker? What kinda power (RMS) does your amp produce at 2-ohm and 4-ohm?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The current amp I have has 175rms x 2Ch at 2-ohm and 125rms at 4-ohms. The speakers are for the front and rear 4 x 6.5 Rockfords 50 watts rms/100 watts Peak power.

Should I get a 4 channel or the mono?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Here is the big question that will decide it for you...do you use your fade? If yes then get the 4-channel if not then get the mono...in the end it is up to you but this is what would decide it for me and this is what I'd recommend to you

Later,
Jared

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would use your 2 channel to power the 6.5 speakers. Run both fronts off one channel, then the rears off the other. That way, you would be giving each speaker about 60wrms (I would still leave the gain down) and you can still fade them. Get the mono amp to power your subs. I dont know what kind of power they handle, but would suggest the jbl 600.1 amp. If you wire it at 2ohms, you can get 300wrms to each sub. A very, very good amp for the price (under $200).

·
Registered
402 Posts
homeslice229 on Feb/10/04 said:
I would use your 2 channel to power the 6.5 speakers. Run both fronts off one channel, then the rears off the other. That way, you would be giving each speaker about 60wrms (I would still leave the gain down) and you can still fade them. Get the mono amp to power your subs. I dont know what kind of power they handle, but would suggest the jbl 600.1 amp. If you wire it at 2ohms, you can get 300wrms to each sub. A very, very good amp for the price (under $200).
make sure your speakers are 2 ohm stable, then, cuz thats what ull be running.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Or you could just run the front 2 speakers off the amp at 4ohms. Thats what I do. I run the rear speakers off my headunit and keep it faded more towards the front. I would just do that, your speakers (even if they can handle 2ohms) would sound a lot better running at 4ohms.

·
Registered
402 Posts
homeslice229 on Feb/10/04 said:
Or you could just run the front 2 speakers off the amp at 4ohms. Thats what I do. I run the rear speakers off my headunit and keep it faded more towards the front. I would just do that, your speakers (even if they can handle 2ohms) would sound a lot better running at 4ohms.
agreed. youll get more clarity with 4-ohms

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
He probalby wants sound in stereo. Lefts on one channel, rights on the other. Also, your calculations for power are way off. It's more like 90WRMS @ 2-ohms and 30WRMS @ 8-ohms, running both pairs.

What head unit are you using? one guy did make a good suggestion about using the HU's internal amp. What kidna subs are you running? Do you need more power or somethin'?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts