Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, you may think i am an idiot, but when it means to turn the distributor counterclockwise, does it mean turning it while it is on, the car that is? or does it mean to turn it off then do it and turn on and check. I have a 97 rs, and i tried, but the distributor bolts won't bolt up if i turn it... do you even have to turn then bolt or do you turn it while it is on and then return the distributor to the original position? The article did not clarify this, but up to this point, it was very helpful. Ok, thanks for any help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, just checking here....Are you sure you are removing the bolts from and turning the distributor and not removing the bolts from the distributor cap?
I have seen people trying to adjust the timing by turning the distributor cap and not the distributor, that's the reason why I ask...

·
Registered
155 Posts
1. You start the car(not sure if it has to fully warm
up).
2. Jump your service connector using a paper clip.
3. Hook-up your timing gun.
4. Point it down to the crank.
5. Locate the 18degree line
6. Loosen the the 3 bolts that is holding the distributor.
7. Turn it. You will notice the change in rpm when you do this.
8. Check to see where it's at with the timing gun again.
9. Tighten it when you have it on the 18degree mark, but be careful when you tighten it, sometimes you accidently move the timing while you're tighten it. So check frequently.
10. Disconnect the timing gun.
11. Take the paper clip out of the service connector.
12. Reset the ECU if you want too.
13. Now you're done.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I Recently tried to advance my timing but didn't notice a difference, i have a 99 gsr. When i went to my local honda dealer, i talked to some people there and they told me you can't advance the timing on my car because it is not mechanical, are they right or wrong??? Because if it is true that you can't that would explaing all the new problems that im having with my car. with lag and no power.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Ive wondered this too, ive noticed that the distributor has like, oblong shaped bolt holes? do you jsut turn it a tiny little bit? or complaete turns? I wanna do this, but im confused as far as turning the dristibutor also..

·
Registered
95 Posts
its supposed to be oblong so you can only turn it left to right. yes, your turn it little by little. when you get the desired setting, you tighten it and check the timing again. like i said, you turn it counterclockwise (towards the dist), you advance it...clockwise (towards the radiator), you retard

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The bolts on the distributor only need to be loosened. You do not need to remove the bolts. Loosen the bolts enough so that you can rotate the distributor then tighten them back down once you reach your desired timing spec. The oblong shape holes are there to allow movement of the distributor. If the holes were not oversized you wouldn't be able to move the distributor anywhere.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i did it. But i hear a weirder noise from my air intake, but i may just have never noticed it before. And also, i just filled up, and i hope this gives me better milage, cuz i do not notice much if any performance gains. I need some good point to keep it at 18 degrees. Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
"Ive got i/h/e on my car, would it be necessary to advance the timing to 18 btdc!?"

no you don't have to.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey....I'm also thinking of advancing my timing, do I really need a timing gun? or I can do it without? approximately how much do you turn it?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes you need a timing gun to do it right. You can guess how far the distributor needs to be turned, but it's going to be wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts