Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really ready to buy a turbo kit only problem is, my room mate keeps telling me that I'm going to blow my engine if I do put one in. I read that the greddy turbo kit is bolt on and that it comes out the factory already set to my cars' specs. Would I have to upgrade the pistons/rods and clutch. What else would I need to make it work without any problems?

·
Registered
529 Posts
depends on what psi your running at, if you go 8-10psi, you should be fine with stock internals, anything higher and you might want a rebuild

·
Registered
328 Posts
run a search its been done over and over again but no you will not blow the motor granted you understand what your puting into your car and how to safely run boost

·
Registered
527 Posts
let me be the first to tell you that there are plenty of articles on this subject.. along with countless threads of how much boost you can run on a stock ls motor.. and so on... do us, and yourself a favor and use the search feature.. its terrific. we have all once been turned onto it in the past when we were new... and now its your turn.. if after reading for a few hours you have specific answers that you cant seem to find then by all means ask.. there are very knowledgable people on this board that will take the time to help you but you have to help them by taking the time to learn it yourself first as they did.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it comes already set to 7psi and I was planning on leaving it there. Just the greddy turbo kit along with the intercooler kit and a HKS ssqv bov. I would've done it a long time ago but people keep telling me that it's a mistake. It'd be a shame to spend 3K for all that stuff just to find out I need to spend more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise guys! I used the search and found a whole bunch of other posts with the same question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The common overlook is fuel delivery, which first of all, is more important than the internals. Granted the fuel is adequately delivered, I have heard of a G2 LS running on 12 psi, on stock internals, for 3 years before blowing. I'm sure though, that the search you did gave you more than enough advice. Just thought I'd remind you to invest in a good fuel set-up when many people are just telling you internals, internals, internals. Good luck with the turbo.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Not to sound like a jerk..but If you listen to stupid things people say, then you are not really ready to get a turbo kit. If you were ready you would know for yourself what the motor can and cant handle etc. once again I don't mean to sound like a jerk but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wouldn't do it w/ out rebuilding the bottom end. Usually your stock motor w/ the ls isn't made to take that much power to it.
I guess you would not need to, or I guess i could even be wrong, but I wouldn't slap a turbo on w/ out a bottom end rebuild

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Go slap your friend in the mouth he doesnt know what he's talking about. You can boost your engine with stock internals as long as you stay at a resonable psi. Like trixunlimited said 8-10 you should be fine but anything after that you might need to build your bottom end to handle the excess pressure. Just make sure your engine is running very well before you put it on.

Do a compression test, leakdown test, inspect everything in your motor that wears like belts, plugs and wires, and make sure you are up to date on all of your maintainance. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The Ls engine has pretty good compression so you would be able to run between 7-9 psi without any problems...You will want to upgrade the fuel delivery though...

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I had 320 hp on my stock block LS and my motor went, im actually dropping in a built one within the next few days and upgrading my suspention and everything ive been waiting to do.

Dont focus on psi, focus on the turbo's flow rate and what it will efficiently boost without over doing it like i did.
T3/T4 60 trims at 10 psi will flow a hell of a lot more air then a 16g at 10psi.. research and grab a set of goals then go for the gold!

:) happy turbo'ing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts