Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you do basic boltons like i/h/e, they "free" up hp correct? because the stock is restrictive so by changing to aftermarkets you will "free" up some hp. i frequently hear people say like "changing the exhaust will add something amount of hp." but when you do FI you "add" hp correct?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes freeing up HP is when you remove restrictions that the motor has. Your engine is already producing this amount of HP and all you do is remove the restrictions. only way to add HP most cost effectivly is pushing more air into the cylinders (FI) or of course Nitrous. Do a quick search and you will get way more information.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
umairejaz on Mar/29/04 said:
Yes freeing up HP is when you remove restrictions that the motor has. Your engine is already producing this amount of HP and all you do is remove the restrictions. only way to add HP most cost effectivly is pushing more air into the cylinders (FI) or of course Nitrous. Do a quick search and you will get way more information.
i know that cai free up hp from the stock intake. but the cai also adds more air into the engine compared to the stock. so is a cai "adding" and "freeing" hp? i guess this is just one of those weird questions.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
For argument sake, I/H/E/C does "free" up power since the engine is being restricted by the stock setup.

About turbochargers "adding" hp... Well, I hate using the term "add" because ususally that goes hand in hand with lego block building. For example, "Buy this y0! This exhaust will add 10hp!" However, a turbocharger does force air into the combustion chamber which increases hp/torque, so it if it has to be either "adds" or "frees up", It is more "adds".

:p

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I/H/C/E
Intake/Header/ C? /Exhaust

The C stands for free flowing or high flowing catalytic converter.

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
white_rice on Mar/29/04 said:
I don't mean to sound like a hater, but what's the point of your question?
i think its a perfectly valid question

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
chrgd_ls_vtec on Mar/29/04 said:
I/H/C/E
Intake/Header/ C? /Exhaust

The C stands for free flowing or high flowing catalytic converter.
gotcha...

i know i'm going to get razzed for this but... what else besides I/H/C/E would "free-up" hp without going FI or boring the engine?

OT: I've seen those AEM Pully-kits... but after reading on the AEM forum it sounds like the A/C and power steering pumps struggle for power and may cause premature wear.

Other then that, Adjustable cam gears... what else?

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
piston, port&polish, better timing, tuning, high output alternator, new battery (gets charge up easier, thus, alternator don't need to charge it all the time), clean filter, new fuel filter.

Some of the above are more likely to restore factory power rather than free up power.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ok I have a question: Why do dealers give us Base HP and not Wheel HP? Is it because they prefer to give us the bigger number? and whats the real difference between the Base and Wheel HP ...?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Probably because to the unassuming public HP=HP, no matter which way you divide it. It's a way of tricking the public, without actually lying to them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Integraoligist on Mar/30/04 said:
what a about:
Fuel rail
Cam gears
High-flow fuel pump
ignition upgrade
intake manifold
re-timing
alternator
battery

all on a N/A without the new pistons, port&polish
Are you asking if they add HP?

·
Registered
457 Posts
How is advertising the Engine HP tricking the public? It seems to me that all the major manufactures advertise the HP rating of their engines at the flywheel and not the actual wheels. If you car makes 150hp at the engine then it will make X at the wheels. The power is still the same just now it's going through the drive train. I don't see the trickery in that.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
^ BEcause the power they advertise isn't the "true" horsepower that you see while driving, some would say. It seems unfair to quote a power figure, without factoring in drivetrain losses. But I don't really care anyways - everyone here knows about it, so we're informed, and know this beforehand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts