Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at work picking up an order at a paint store with my integra. on my way back there is a pretty nice road, but with normal 50 yard street lights. I went into third then fourth gear to pass this hoopty that was trying to muscle me, when I noticed that my integra was going a sh*t load faster that normal. needless to say I was happy... until I began to slow down for a stoplight. I realized a strange sound coming from my brakes, I was slowing but with alot of effort. I would release my brake and my car would jump into action, screaming tires and everything. I could tell from the sound of my engine something was wrong, It was at 4500-5000 rpm and I wasn't even touching the gas. I saw a parking lot and pulled in doing 55 mph the only thing I could do was instantly cut the engine. you think thats scary you should have seen my park job, purrrfect. anyhow I got my car to the shop and had it checked out, they say my throttle cable needs replaced. they order it. THAT WAS THREE WEEKS AGO, I call acura- they say my part is on a NATIoNAL BACK-ORDER. WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? must i fly down there, find the factory and begin twisting noses or what? WHAT'S GOING oN HERE? DOES SOMEBODY HAVE MY @#%[email protected]%# PART?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I hope you didn't take it to the one in Wexford. Thats the one I plan on taking my car to if it ever needs big time service...Glad you had a great parking job by the way, hehe.

I don't see much that you can do besides try to diagnose and fix the problem yourself...

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
next time put it in nuetral. It will sound scary as hell but its better then crashing

·
Registered
98 Posts
get a second opinion, not from another dealer but just a local shop. My experience tell me dealerships are very money hungry and will replace parts that can be fixed just to get more money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
oops, that sounded a little confusing. What I meant was that dealerships will replace parts that don't necessarily need replacing, just to get extra money.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mechanic said that the cable had uncoiled somewhere inside of the tubing, I figure there is no sense in trying to repair it because the problem may return. my only beef is with the manufacturers and the dealers.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks plenty, I went to pep boys by the way... I hope that doesn't make you piss yourself. it was the closest to get it towed.

·
Registered
523 Posts
actually this happened to me last week. My car was idling at like 5k without my foot being on the gas. I came to a light to try and stop but i had to almost slam my brakes to the floor and i wasnt slowing much. I had to yank up the e-brake real quick before i ran out into the intersection. Later I popped the hood and noticed that a large cable from my intake manifold had been forced out somehow so i put it back in and tightened the bracket for my throttle cable and everything was fixed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To make my car driveable, i should get hung for this... but when I got my car towed and they had ordered the part they kept my car outside in the parking lot(sad face). that night I received my tires and wheels(happy face), not being the patient type i got my boy, my tires and wheels already mounted and balanced, threw them in the back of my dads jeep and sped down there to put those suckers on myself. But... no no i didn't stop there oh noooo, I just couldn't wait to take my baby out for a ride. but wait what about my cable??? oh i'll just grab my gas pedal and pull untill I hear a stretching noise. pop the hood and my cable is a little lose but way more taut, so I cut her lose...fine. now my gas pedal is at the same level as my brake. at least I can drive her. I'd be cutting throats right now if I hadn't done that.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
tony4311 on Aug/13/02 said:
next time put it in nuetral. It will sound scary as hell but its better then crashing
Hell no. Do that, redline it, hit the fuel cutoff... not good stuff! Just turn off the ignition!

I had this same problem (not on the teg thank God). It was sticking a bit. I take it to the mechanic, he fiddles around with it to slightly fix it, then tells me to come back tomorrow. on the way home, MY PEDAL GOT STUCK TO THE FLOOR!

I almost ran into the back of some huge truck! If I didn't think fast, I could have had my car wedged under it, effectively taking my head off! I'm so glad that I thought fast and turned off the ignition! only hard part is losing power steering. I was able to coast it into AAMOCO and basically smack the throttle body to put it back into place.

I should have sued that MOFO!

But long story short, as soon as it sticks, turn off the ignition, and don't turn it back on until you've unstuck it! It's a frayed cable inside of the plastic that normally covers it that's causing it to stick. I saw mine afterwards... HOSED!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why is hitting the fuel cutoff bad? I would think one would want to stop the car first and then cut the engine, wether key or fuel cutoff. And if you do take the key out while in gear, doesn't the car put on an emergency brake?
-Tek

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
To understand why fuel cutoff is bad you must first understand what it is. Fuel cutoff is when you take the car above redline and the engine tries to save itself from sending a rod through a wall or bending its valves.

It does exactly what it sounds like it does. It cuts off the fuel flow to your engine and consequently creates a very lean situation in your engine. IT IS VERY BAD! Bouncing off of your fuel cutoff like a trampoline can result in serious engine damage.

And no the car doesn't put on an emergency brake if you take the key out while it is in gear. Why would it do that? The only way the car puts on brakes in ANY situation is if you put them on. Thank God cars don't have minds of their own like that, that would be dangerous...

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh, thanks for the info.

I was just thinking that if the car is moving, you take out the key, car is still in gear AND moving, then the crankshaft is still rotating, shoving the piston around in the cylinder wihout fuel being supplied... i thought it might do damage (which is why the car would attempt to save itself with the emergency brake), but im guessing it doesn't?

-Tek

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
No, I'm not being a wiseass here but I'm just giving a possible situation. What if this was happening to you, (gas pedal stuck to floor) and you took the key out, would you want to have control on how fast you brake so you don't lose control or do you want the car to brake for you?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
okay. granted in this case neutral wasn't needed. BUT if it was an emergency and I needed to stop right away and needed the power brakes to do that, I would rather hit the cut-off then crash into something, but this case his case wasn't as bad as I first thought.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I agree with you 100% Tony. If I had an automatic tranny, I would sooner blow the transmission (By throwing it into reverse) than crash...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts