Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! Has anybody shaved down the front and rear Acura A's? I don't mean remove them - I had this idea that I'd keep the badges but grind them down to about half the thickness they are now and paint them dark metallic grey or gunmetal. Mainly I'm worried that the badges are hollow or something and when I grind them down they'll just come apart.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't think it would look good up close, and from a distance, it won't make a difference - just being painted gives them a softer, flatter, bigger look - softens the visual impact of the peaks without the chrome. Also, the badges won't look like they're sitting on a black mounting pad, which has something to do with it. Hard to explain - check my profile pics or previous posts to see my gunmetal badges.

And I'm pretty sure they aren't a solid molding - they're likely semi-hollow with little ribs like the 'ACURA' badge. (Could get you a pic of it if you think it'd help.)

Just paint 'em. You can leave them on the car, and instead of masking around them with tape, fold over a bit of newspaper and shove the crease under the badge from the top - there are posts at 9 and 3 o'clock on the A's halo. Some more folded newspaper under from the bottom, perhaps trim a little from where the posts are to get a good overlap, and tape them in place. Then just cover everything else with some more newspaper - tape it down to the paper already there. (If you only use a single layer of newspaper, you run the risk of the paint bleeding through and sticking the paper to the car's paint - no good.)

Hope that helps, good luck!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My badges are all painted a clear metallic red over the chrome now which looks good but I've seen the Honda H, totally shaved badges, different colored badges etc. and I was looking for something different. I always thought the Acura logos stuck out a little from the body metal and the idea is to make the badge follow the body a little better. I'll start by sanding down the chrome of the A so it's level with the black backing. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I'll either shave 'er down or re-badge.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm acctually using a badge from ebay and keeping the a intact but the back of the badge red just like the type r emblems. By the way does anyone know the paint chip color for the red acura emblem or would matche best?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.