Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a super common topic around here is "what to do to protect my teg?", today i added the banner/link for "Accutracking" and thought i'd take a moment to explain the ins and outs of it

It starts with a GPS enabled cell phone.... you can either use your own and install their software, or you can get something like the "starter kit" (which is where the banner/link takes you), which is a basic phone with the software preinstalled and a prepaid cell service card to get you started...

This phone gets "stashed" somewhere in your car, out of sight.....

While it is hidden away, it is sending almost real time information via many satellites in the sky, and if it cannot see the birds for some reason, it will triangulate using cell phone towers..... this data gets sent to the Accutracking service and when you login to their website (they even have a mobile version that you can browse on your phone), it will tell you where you car is, where it's been, and even how fast it's going... if you want to see an example of the tracking, i posted a screenshot last year in this topic

Now, why do i think this is worth it and why did i decide to openly talk about it?because i really believe in it....

I am not a fan of LoJack because of two factors:
(1) You have to know your car is gone to activate the service
(2) The police have to have the equipment for it, and even if they do, they have to have time to use it... and i don't know about the cops in your area, but i bet if i called my local police in a panic that my car was gone, i can guarentee they wouldn't be right on it

So to re-itterate: with a system like this, you can see where your car is and how it got there, and all whenever you want

Another GREAT thing about their service is setting up of "fences"... you can tell their system that when you can goes in and/or out of a certain radius from given lat and long to send an SMS or Email.... so when your car leaves a 250 foot area from where you park at home, the system will shoot you a message... how cool is that?

To note: alarms by companies like DEI and Compustar have GPS available (in fact, i was talking to a member last week who said Compustar uses Accutracking service), but the drawback there is that it is directly part of the alarm system... if a thief disables the alarm, they disabled the GPS as well... and as you hopefully have read here in the past, it's all about having your security in layers layers and more layers!!

All right, hopefully i explained the system, i'm pretty familiar with the setup, i'd be more than happy to answer any questions

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
wow this seems pretty user friendly and deff. something worth looking into!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
That's not a bad price at all to pay a month for the safety of your car. There are so many spots to keep a cellphone like that around. What I would also do is slap a battery extender they have at CVS on it so it could double the battery life.

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's better to get a female 12v recepticle and give it constant power (it would take months to drain a battery)... that takes the battery out of the equation

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
i'll def. have to look into this one. i remember that you used to be an installer... thanks for using your knowledge for the benefit of the site, but that's nothing new. good info!

·
Registered
878 Posts
i like this idea, one question is the total monthly price $16.?? i think thats what it said it came out to. i was thinkin too good to be true. lol def checking into this

btw how would you install it directly to the car battery? one wire from the battery ,soldered to the end of the car charger wire and plugged into the phone?

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wht-teg97 on Oct/11/07 said:
good idea but whats the point of a cell phone if it gets stashed in your car?

It is simply using the phone to send data... nothing else

Quote: McLovinTeg95 on Oct/11/07 This is GPS, so it wouldn't matter right?

Gotta have cell service to be able to send the data... the phone pulls it's location from the satellites, and then send the data over the cell service back to Accutracking's servers

Quote: dc4bill on Oct/11/07 i like this idea, one question is the total monthly price $16.?? i think thats what it said it came out to. i was thinkin too good to be true. lol def checking into this
I recall it being ~$12.... half of that is the boost mobile service, the other half is Accutracking's charge.....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
So once you get the prepaied phone with card, as long as you dont use the phone you would never have to buy more mins. right? Or do the mins expire after a given amount of time?

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got-integra on Oct/11/07 said:
So once you get the prepaied phone with card, as long as you dont use the phone you would never have to buy more mins. right? Or do the mins expire after a given amount of time?
its like 20 cents a day for the data plan....

·
Registered
344 Posts
this seems like something you would want to hide. so a thief doesn't just jack the phone and all of a sudden you know where the thief is and not the car.

would there be any possibility of wiring the phone into the antenna so it'll be able to "see the sky" at all times?

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's no need for that as long as you put it somewhere that it can go through non-metal and out a window..... because even wiring it to an external antenna (which i don't think is possible with just about any modern phone) wouldn't help it if you were in a parking garage or the like

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Nothing but good things to say about this product. As Steve has already mentioned, you pay a base 5.95 + 20/day =~$12 a month.

Extremely simple installation and it was definitely a boost in piece of mind. I can be at work and wonder "where's my car." All I have to do is log in, and I can see the running log of where it has been. With GPS, you have an accuracy of about ~15. You also have programable options. My settings are to track is every minute during movement(Emailing me every minute its Lat/Long).

Ex:

*Note, you also have 3 different tracking views.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I was looking into this a while ago and was definitely impressed. I was actually reading another website where this guy "stalked" his girlfriend in order to test the service out.

He pretty much used her own phone as a tracking device, lol.

Definitely a good safety mod.

·
Registered
455 Posts
MorningZ on Oct/11/07 said:
I am not a fan of LoJack because of two factors:
(1) You have to know your car is gone to activate the service
(2) The police have to have the equipment for it, and even if they do, they have to have time to use it... and i don't know about the cops in your area, but i bet if i called my local police in a panic that my car was gone, i can guarentee they wouldn't be right on it
1. If you purchase the EWS (early warning system) they will contact you within 15-30 mins and no more than one hour and alert you that your car has been moved (doesn't have to be driven and I've never known it to take more than 20 mins)

2. As far as the police go, i cant really comment but if they're bums I can see where it would be a problem. on the other hand, 98% of their vehicles are recovered so that may answer that question. Almost all insurance companies will give a discount of atleast 10% off your full coverage premium and it is only a one time fee (but not a cheap one)

Also just to remind people, both of these systems are a theft-RECOVERY system and not ANTI-theft. This is to say, use layers such as fuel cut off switch etc... and have these types of systems for the "Oh **** where is my car" time.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
WOW! i dont know what else to say. but im impressed an deff interested am im gonna look in2 gettin hooked up with that. thanks MorningZ!
do u realize how many tegs u just saved an protected from thieves...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.