Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Acura integra LS sedan bone stock
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the integra family. I just bought a 97 integra LS sedan for $300 lol.:LOL: I wanna completely modernize the interior. Black leather interior, touchscreen radio, fully digital (like a 2020 Audi or bmw) instrument cluster etc. Anything can be done to a car with dedication and fabrication. But where I'm stuck is how I'm gonna change the ac controls. I wish I could make the whole radio and ac controls into one giant touchscreen like a Tesla but I'm not sure if that's actually possible. But I definitely wanna change the AC controls to look modern and sleek. I want people to blow their minds sitting in a 90's car with a complete modern interior with modern tech. It'll take a long time and $$$ but I think it's worth it. Any suggestions on the AC controls? I don't think anyones gone as far as I'm trying to go. I'm new to the whole forums thing too.

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
You get an "A" for dreaming big, but it's something that's just not practical, nor will it be easy. Main issue is that these controls are "mechanical", with no electronics. For instance, modern vehicles have stepper motors for adjusting the heater core control valve, which basically adjusts cabin temperature. You push a button up or down, and the motor adjusts coolant to the heater core, which then gives you warmer air out of the vents. The integra uses a mechanical cable, similar to what you would find on a bicycle's brake cable. It's connected to the heater control valve within compartment, and then connected to the temperature sliding knob on the panel. As you slide to the right for heat, the cable moves and adjusts temperature accordingly. It's not electronic, but it's a basic way to adjust heat. Definitely ahead of its time from earlier vehicles in the 70's & 80's that used engine vacuum to adjust the door flapper on vents, and temperature control.

Additionally, modern vehicles use CAN BUS. You can Google exactly what that is for more information, but think of it as a modern way for a computer to connect and control many different devices. The Integra doesn't have this technology, nor is it something that you can just "install".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts