Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys,

To start off i have a 1994 integra,where the ABS unit is behind the pass. side headlight.

About a month ago i took my motor out b/c i sent it off to get built,the cars been sitting since. Well today i hooked up my boost controller and after i was done,i hooked up my battery so i could see if it worked (the boost contorller). Hooked up the battery and turned the key to on "oN" position,and i heard a loud hum come from my engine bay for about 2-3 seconds. So i turned the key off and did it again,to see if it would. It did and i noticed it was the ABS unit humming. I have never heard this,and its never happend before. Well now when i turn the key to the "oN" position,it doesnt hum,it just makes a loud click sound. Is all this normal,and what could it be? Why did it make a loud humming noise,and now it just clicks? has anyone seen/heard this happen? what could be going on? Thanks guys in advance.

Also,just a follow up question,when i did turn my key to the on position,i didnt hear the fuel pump "prime". Is this because the engine harness is out of the car?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and dont know if it makes a difference,but thers alot of pressure in the brake system. Ive towed the car like 3 or 4 times and i would have to use the brakes to get the car off the dolly,and since the motor isnt in the car,i couldnt start the car up and relieve the pressure you get when you keep pressing the brake when the cars off.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Time to add fluid to the system.(check fuse too)

Yes the fuel pump is tied into your harness.

And without battery abs does not function so brakes will be weird.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do i add fluid to the system? Do i just fill up the master cylinder? because my brake master clyinder is full.

and lxlxldyelxlxl,you say you have the same problem,can you notice a difference driving the car?

·
Registered
661 Posts
The abs unit on the passenger side.
Open the black cap add slowly, (careful brakefluid can eat paint) till you see where it says max on the side.

·
Registered
238 Posts
jdmlsvteg18 on Sep/30/07 said:
How do i add fluid to the system? Do i just fill up the master cylinder? because my brake master clyinder is full.

and lxlxldyelxlxl,you say you have the same problem,can you notice a difference driving the car?
the only slight difference is that it tends to studder a little sometimes, other then that the noise is just the only hassle...its annoying as hell and sometimes doesnt shutup for a good 30 seconds or so..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It should only turn on for 2 or 3 seconds when you start the car. It won't if you've driven the car recently. If its coming on for more than a few seconds or coming on repeatedly in a short amount of time, your abs pump is going out and you'll have to get it replaced...which is a ***** load of cash.

·
Registered
661 Posts
NicCantDecide on Sep/30/07 said:
It should only turn on for 2 or 3 seconds when you start the car. It won't if you've driven the car recently. If its coming on for more than a few seconds or coming on repeatedly in a short amount of time, your abs pump is going out and you'll have to get it replaced...which is a ***** load of cash.
Be sure to check the fluid first.
It's better to check the little things.
For instance,
Why buy a new car if all thats wrong with it is a dead battery?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
well he already said the fluid was full, so we can rule that out.

If there was a leak, he'd have no more fluid by now and his brakes wouldn't work, which isn't the case because he stated the system works.

So the last option that I can think of is the abs pump itself. Its not holding pressure.

·
Registered
661 Posts
NicCantDecide on Sep/30/07 said:
well he already said the fluid was full, so we can rule that out.

If there was a leak, he'd have no more fluid by now and his brakes wouldn't work, which isn't the case because he stated the system works.

So the last option that I can think of is the abs pump itself. Its not holding pressure.
He said master cylinder is full.
My abs unit(passenger side)was low and did the same thing filled it up haven't had a problem.
Considering the abs unit is not a fully sealed system there is a possibility of him losing some.
You may be right, I just want to make sure he checks a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine has been doing that for a while now. I've been trying to fix it. I think that it is a bleeding problem, at least for me. Try bleeding the ABS. I was going to that to mine this weekend to try and fix it. I'd get it good without making any noise and then it would start up again. I don't think I'm bleeding the ABS right though. What is the proper way to bleed ABS.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here is the procedure for ABS brake fluid replacement and bleeding for '94-'97 Integras only (from the Helms manual):

1.) Remove the bleeder cap from the maintenance bleeder on the modulator unit.

2.) Attach the wrench to the maintenance bleeder.

3.) Connect a rubber tube of the appropriate diameter to the maintenance bleeder, and set the other end of the rubber tube in a suitable container.

4.) While holding the rubber tube with your hand, slowly loosen the maintenance bleeder 1/8 to 1/4 to collect the brake fluid in the container.

CAUTIoN: Do not loosen the maintenance bleeder too much. The high-pressure brake fluid can burst out.

5.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder.

6.) Start the engine and let it idle for a minute. Stop the engine.

7.) Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir. It should be below the MAX (upper) level line.

8.) Repeat the steps 4 through 7 to drain the rest of the brake fluid from the modulator unit.

9.) Remove the cap, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

10.) Repeat steps 4 through 8 twice, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

11.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder to the specified torque (8 lbf-ft).

12.) After replacement, start the engine and make sure that the ABS indicator light goes off.

Note: this ABS bleeding procedure only applies to '94-'97 Integras. The ABS system on '98-'01 Integras is different (ie. it does not have a seperate brake fluid reservior for the ABS system) and does not require a seperate bleeding procedure for the ABS system.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks fellas for the feedback. ill try to top off the ABS unit with fluid and see if it helps or goes away. if not ill just have to live with it i guess.

If it were my ABS pump going bad,and it got worse or craped out on me,is it something that will effect the brakes? i mean obviosuly if it goes out i probably wont have ABS,but would the car still be safe to drive and the brakes would be fine,just no abs?

·
Registered
661 Posts
THey might try to lock up on you considering you have an abs brake booster.
and don't just fill up the abs unit.
look on the side for a min and max indicator.
Good luck it fixed my problem, may fix yours to save you money lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.