Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a trailer park there is a white RSX-S that has been abandoned. Its got a flat tire, the door handle is broken, a paint chip on the roof, door ding, and the steering wheel is chewed up. It has Arizona tags dated from 08, the car is located in Garden City, KS. Does anybody know how I could go about buying this car and getting a title for it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
^^^This and let us know how it goes! Post pics too! I jokingly wanted to claim immonent domain over a car parked in my back yard. I'd love to know the law behind it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post pictures later, I was thinking of taking the VIN and the tag number to the DMV to find the last owner. Its been sitting there for atleast 2 years, probably more so I don't think it's stolen...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its going to need to be impounded and held for a certain amount of time. Along with a vin check, the impound lot will also file a mechanics lien. Once they gain control of the vehicle they can then sell it. Usually the police have to tag it with a notice and wait anywhere from a 24-72 hour if it is on public property to have it removed and impounded. If it is on private property, the owner of the property can have it removed immediately. Rules can vary from state to state. But if it was left abandoned there is probably a good reason for it. (stolen but but not recovered, all beat to hell, etc the list goes on.) When we have abandoned cars come in, all we know is the make and model. We have no way of telling the mechanical history. We just had a van that was abandoned (03 chevy venture). Only issue was that it ran out of gas. It runs like a top and the bosses wife drives it everyday. But that was a lucky one. So be careful what you buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the guy that knows the owner, he's a truck driver and forgot about the car... He lives hours away and doesn't want to deal with it anymore, after sitting there for 3 years im guessing the engine seized up and there's gonna be rust. I don't want to buy it anymore, I thought I was gonna get it cheap and sell the parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found the guy that knows the owner, he's a truck driver and forgot about the car... He lives hours away and doesn't want to deal with it anymore, after sitting there for 3 years im guessing the engine seized up and there's gonna be rust. I don't want to buy it anymore, I thought I was gonna get it cheap and sell the parts.
how does someone "forget about the car?" A type-s isn't cheap. Honestly op depending on the price you get it might be worth it to buy and part out. I own a type-s and parts arent cheap. It'll be profitable if the body/interior are in good condition.

·
Registered
832 Posts
How much is he trying to get for it?

You beat me 04itr, that is what I was trying to poke at.

·
Registered
832 Posts
if he doesnt want to deal with it he should offer low. It's been forgotten about for 3 years.
Exactly my thoughts, he has no emotional attachment to it, just be sure to get the title in hand at the point of sale.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
Doesn't mean you can't still do that. The car probably has some pretty useable parts and if the guy is willing to take a couple hundred bucks, I'd say it's totally worth the time/effort.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Look into your local laws. Even thou you may have found the owner it still may be considered an abandoned car that you can claim. I don't know about your states reg. laws but if the car wasn't reg as non-op, I would hate to have to pay for 5 years of reg. fine/fees.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Engine seized up? Where did you come up with that? My 1982 VW Scirocco sat for 6 years and the motor wasn't even tight... I got it on the road driving in 5 days from the day i got it towed home....

Rust? Any car will accumulate rust weather or not its in "driving" condition. Considering its sat, it hasn't been driven in any winter salt if you are in an area that sees snow. Id say it sitting like that the car has less chance of rust starting or anything.

After 3 years the most it will need is oil and fuel flushed, fresh tires, a new battery, and a good overall cleaning.

If I were you, I'd offer like $1500 and take that sucker home. $2000 tops considering you cant test drive it or anything really. But in my case id buy it for a daily driver and fix it up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts