Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing groupbuycenter and found a great deal on a:
Skunk 2 rear lower sway bar for 92-00 Civic/ Del Sol and 94-01 Integra oNLY $140 SHIPPED

That's a great deal seeing as the nuespeed bar is close to 300 bucks, and after what i have read on these forums a good rear sway bar is the best bang for buck suspension upgrade you can get.

But after doing a little research on the Skunk2 site i found something that troubled me a little:
It should be noted that an addition of a large sway bar is not a replacement for adequate springs and shocks. If a large sway bar is used with softer rear springs, the chassis will need to be reinforced
I was wondering if this statement was made in general or for the integra specificially because im running bone stock suspension with 98,xxx miles on it and dameage to my car or chassis is the last thing i need. I really don't want to have to reinforce my chassis it sounds expensive, plus i don't want any extra weight than i need. If someone can shine some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Ohh btw i want to make sure this is what im getting because on the group buy center page is says "rear lower sway bar" but on the Skunk2 website they only list 1 type of rear sway bar not a lower or upper, also Here is the link to the groupbuycenter page. You have to register to view it but damn there is some good deals and it's free so why not?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also since this question is still in the air would a rear strut bar be considered reinforcement? I have a front and rear strut bar coming to me on backorder as well.

And yes one final question what is involved in the installation or a rear strut bar is this something a NOVICE mechanic can do himself?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn guys no help on this one?

i know someone knows the answers!

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
well you should know that you really shouldn't just slap on a larger sway bar without beefing up your springs/shocks (or mounting/reinformant hardware - cuz you will rip your subframe out). one hard turn and not only will your back end break loose but you could possibly roll the damn thing!

skunk2 should include mounting hardware, ITR bars require BSQ's mounting kit.

rear strut bar will strengthen the rear strut towers to prevent flexing --- a monkey with a socket wrench could install one.

-LT

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=294

Check the sway bar article and look how the sway bar works in action. Softer springs put more force into twisting the bar. I'm sure you can imagine the more the bar has to flex the more stress it will put on the chassis and a tear out will occur if it is not properly reinforced.

A rear tie bar is for chassis flex, it does not have anything to do with supension travel and works independantly of the sway bar.

BTW did they tell you the size of the Skunk2 sway bar? I'd like to add it to the article.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
ahh josh, always coming in second, eh? heh, j/k man.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill check the skunk2website and email the vendor about the size it's the least i can do for all your help surfer

i have read that sway bar article before and have a very good understanding of how it works, but i need to know the bottom line. If i have a front and rear strut bar and want to add a skunk2 sway bar then what else so i need to keep things safe just a lower tie bar?

how much do those usually run?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
no...i tie bar wont help protect the subframe (unless you get the comptech tie/sway bar combo installed). you need a mounting bracket if one is not included. get springs too.

i don't know how much they run.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think im just going to bite the bullet and buy all skunk2 products it's going to cost a little more than i had planned to spend but it will be worth it

If i get Skunk2 Front and rear strut bars, rear swray bar, and rear lower tie bar i should be good right? (as far as reinforcement is concerned)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
No, the place that it is going to tear out is on the bushing. Strut/tie bars don't reinforce any of these. Comptech's "tie bar" is actually not a tie bar at all rather an entire subframe brace that's why it's safe to use with Comptech's sway bar. A regular tie bar would not reinforce where you need it.

The best reinforcement you could give your bar is stiffer springs. If the springs are stiffer the bar doesn't have to twist as much and won't put as much force on the chassis. That's the only way, even still I'd get a reinforcement kit for a larger sway bar as the Skunk2 is likely to be about 400-500% stiffer than the stock bar depending on what size it is.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Great thread...

I was reading the articles on suspension, and developed a question on product recomendation. I then searched, and found this thread on Skunk2 suspension components. So my question is...

Would the resident experts recomend Skunk2 suspension components? They are not listed in the list of quality manufacturers featured at the bottom of the page in the Tie bar article.

I know Skunk2 makes great performance upgrades for our engines, but are their suspension products up to speed, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Phil

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
well i bought Gvtec's Skunk2 coilover sleeves. He said they are very nice, and i trust him - so i take his word on it. I've heard nothing but good about Skunk2 suspension components.

*note: i'm not a promoter for Skunk2, just saying what i've heard.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
SurferX on Sep/19/02 said:
BTW did they tell you the size of the Skunk2 sway bar? I'd like to add it to the article.
22mm. utilizes ball joint mounts like the oem itr, comptech, etc.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
SurferX on Sep/19/02 said:
.....even still I'd get a reinforcement kit for a larger sway bar as the Skunk2 is likely to be about 400-500% stiffer than the stock bar depending on what size it is.
With a 22mm rear swaybar I would highly recommend getting either the Comptech subframe brace or the BSQ rear swaybar mounting kit. The comptech is quite a bit pricier.....but also doubles as a rear lower tiebar.

And btw Kingkash, jdmhondparts.com has the skunk2 bar for $138 before shipping.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would eibach sportline springs be considered reinforcement since they are not stock suspension and therefore not as "soft"?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Look I'm going to make if VERY simple for you:

You need a reinforcement kit that is designed to brace the chassis for a 19mm bar or larger. Such as the Comptech subframe brace or the BSQ kit. Call comptech for pricing (I beleive its in the mid-$100's) of their brace.....the BSQ retails for under $50. You're making this way more complicated and difficult than it needs to be.

Stiffer springs, strut bars, indiglo winshield washers, altezzas, screw on exhaust tips, you name it....they're all second place.........you need this kit! If you don't want to invest a minimum of $50 to protect this thing from tearing your subframe a new a$$hole then fine go ahead a hope that your aftermarket springs will be enough. If you want to do this mod correctly get the mounting kit.

Edit: found a lengthy thread on this topic using search function.rear swaybar thread

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
werd BlueTeg...btw, i look and look and look yet i cannot find BSQ kits ANYWHERE on the net? a little help?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
He's a member of web board who sells them. I don't know if he's on this board, but I know I've seen him on honda-acura.net so you can try a member search there and email him. And oh by the way LT i've seen you there too! So you should know that site by now

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
BlueTeg...are you God?? heh, thanks, dude!

tim - i had no idea he belonged there, shows how much i care about that place.

edit: why is it whenever i visit a Yahoo/Geocities webpage, the next link i click the site is suddenly unavailable? grrr...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts