Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure this has been talked about a million times, but i found 3 really simple things that helped me out a lot at the track this weekend. i shaved almost a whole second off my ET's by doing these:

1) advanced timing to 18 degrees (free & took 10 minutes)
2) lost weight (sub box, tire, etc)(free & 10 minutes)
3) turbo 108 octane boost ($8 and took 2 minutes)

i think the biggest helper was the octane boost. i don't recommend it on higer mileage cars or to do it all the time, but you sure feel the difference. also making sure your timing is right helped a lot... mine was at 14 degrees when i checked it.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
what were your times

not to sound like a jerk but the octane booster actually helped the least(although it was needed since you advanced your timing).

read me

me

and me

EDIT:surfer x beat me while I was searching

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
octane boost will only help if your advanced timing was retarded by the knock sensor--the higher octane would allow it to readvance to whatever you set it to.

higher octane will only add power if you can advace the timing to use it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all i know about octane is that the higher the number, the lower temperature is needed for the gasoline to combust causing a more thorough and cleaner burn and in turn creating more energy to send the piston right back where it came from.

my reasoning behind thinking it was the biggest "power gainer" was that i only took out about 70lbs. and i'm still running within factory spec for the timing

before i was running 15.9-16.2 on average. this weekend i was running 15.2's with a best ET of 15.112.

there's 100 other factors that could have came into play here too... i was at a different track, so elevation might have mattered (doubt it much)... temperature... track surface, etc... but those are all minor and shouldn't cause that big of a change.

from the other posts here, it sounds like it was a combination of the advanced timing and the octane boost working together.

i'm going to the track again tuesday just for kicks. i'll do a couple runs without the octane boost and see where i'm at with that.

stay tuned... i'll post my times here to let ya know.

i'll admit if i'm wrong

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
We would know if you're wrong, trust us. Your biggest kicker was most likely...who knows? You don't have any hard evidence. Besides that, all three of those things aren't real kickers. Tell us your times, but I bet that your driving is going to decide more or less those 1/10th seconds of a difference.

Also, if you want free engine maintenance reattach the vacuum hose from the CAI to the cam cover. Get rid of those filter breathers.

Also, a little quickie on octane. The higher the octane number, the more controlled (slower) burn rate. More octane does not equate to more power.

Since you really seem to care about the little things, we'll talk about it some.

In some B18B's, results have shown that the burn rate was too fast using a high octane fuel. Peak cylinder pressures were not where they were supposed to be. Lowering the octane level showed that the burn rate was "correct" and peak cylinder pressures were where they were supposed to be.

B18's have low rod ratios. This should be common knowledge to everybody by know. The piston spends very little time at TDC and tends to "run away" from the flame. Michael Delaney has stated this in his articles. In an even lower rod ratio motor such as the B18, this "running away" became prevalent. Therefore a lower octane, and a faster burn rate, was achieved. This allowed for peak cylinder pressures to occur around 12-20 crank angles, rather than using a higher octane and having these pressures occur later.

higher octane=higher power is a misunderstood statement

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IntegraBad18c on Aug/19/02 said:
Also, if you want free engine maintenance reattach the vacuum hose from the CAI to the cam cover. Get rid of those filter breathers.
hmm... don't have filter breathers... just a silicone hose running from the valve cover to the intake tube. i had the filter breathers on for like a week and then thought "the name on the package was APC... i'm takin' them off now" haha. i didn't have any hard evidence on why i should take them off other than the fact that they were made by APC.

i understand that the 3 things i did are not supposed to be that big of a power gain. that's why i started this thread... to get more info on why or why not these things helped me out so dramatically. i'm sure part of it was my driving improving. i've been experimenting with launching RPM's and tire pressure and stuff like that. if it was only a tenth or two i wouldn't be making a big deal out of this, but it was almost a full solid second off my ET's. i can't wait until tomorrow night to go out to the track and find out what's up with it.

another thing that helped out a little was my shifter was messed up and i fixed it before i went down to indy. but i think that helped out more in the consistancy department. didn't miss a shift once all day.

i'm not saying any of you are wrong. you all seriously sound like you know what you are talking about way more than i do... i guess all i can do is go to the track tomorrow and experiment some more, right?

thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone understand what "??????????????????????" means?... be more specific next time InOcULaNcE, okay?

·
Registered
586 Posts
nospeedlimit143 on Aug/19/02 said:
does anyone understand what "??????????????????????" means?... be more specific next time InOcULaNcE, okay?
i believe a ? is a question mark........therefore marking a question. I did that because i was unaware of the quotation, i had never heard of that "cheap" mod.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the breather filters are cheap mini filters that you can (but shouldn't from what i hear) put on the valve cover instead of runninga hose to the intake tube. sorry about being a wise ass.
i gotta headache today

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Its not a cheap engine mod, its a "don't mod your engine this way" ;)

Some people replace the hose that goes from the intake to the crankcase with breather filters. This is bad for tegs, and cause serious problem if left on for an extended period of time.

So, Bad18c was just advizing that he replaced the breather filters with the stock hose.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Hey nospeedlimit143, did you go out to the track today? How'd ya do. Be sure to find out the elevation and record conditions.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm goin' to the track tomorrow if this rain moves out of the area... i'm kinda eager to get this whole octane thing figured out... i'll let ya know tomorrow how it goes. i'm going with my buddy who just got his head re-done on his civic... port/polish/cams/intake manifold/ throttle body, etc... i'm kinda eager to see how he does too.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
octane boost: bad experience with them...they use impurities which stick to the valves and valve seat. The first time we tried to lap the valves after pulling the head it took forever to get the carbon build up off and the valve obviously never shut flush to the seat with all that carcon layer build up. The boost slows down the burn rate which actually hurts your performance if you aren't in the high detonation risk zone. Octane boost just allows you a little more leaway. But nothing in life that is meaningful comes without strings attached.

free power? Take your PS belt off, run on the upper end of spark timing advance, take off your exhaust and cat, lose weight on the car and on your body, take out the stock intake resonator.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Michael Delaney on Aug/19/02 said:
free power? Take your PS belt off, run on the upper end of spark timing advance, take off your exhaust and cat, lose weight on the car and on your body, take out the stock intake resonator.
i'm already running at 18 degrees.. how much higher can i go...

the intake resonator is already gone... i have the AEM CAI on it

i'm not trailering my car to the track, so i still need my exhaust/cat on there. also isn't bad to run the engine with just the header? i heard no back pressure will hurt performance...

i've already got a carbon fiber hood in the works. my buddy works at a place that deals with fiberglass and carbon fiber, and i'm working on getting the doors re-skinned with carbon, as well as the front fenders. i'm thinking lexan windows will be coming eventually soon.

as far as that guy asking about breather damage... that's not what this thread is about, and i know there is one on here somewhere cuz i've read it... use the search function....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, im really curious bout that also, ive heard not to do that many times before, but never why you shouldnt. one of my friends said the hose connected to the intake and created a vacum that sucked oil to your cams, he said that by removing the hose, you would also make your cams run on less oil. I dont know if this is true, but if any one knows the real reason please post. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts