Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was comming home from work today (the Acura Dealership) and i started to hear a rattling noise comming from the engine bay. so i took a look and realized that the pulley that holds the tension/ idler on the air conditioning belt drive completely broke off! snapped the bolt and everything! so i cut the belt and pulled out the broken pulley. now my question is, the rest of the bolt is still stuck in the braket/engine block maybe, i cant tell. is there any way of getting it out so i can put in a new belt and bolt for the idler/tensioner? im so pissed, it was really hot today too, i could have used the A/C!

·
Registered
258 Posts
welcome to my world muahahahahaha if you dont know my A/C compressor siezed up so ya..what i do is try not to drive during daylight haha, if you do need to, park under a tree(shade) and leave the windows down a crack and carry a towel with you
btw its 116 over here
only a month left to go....i'm just countin the days

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
94, A/C compressors cant be that much can they? Man, I hope the turbo noise my car(s) AC has been making doesnt mean death for the compressors lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same bolt broke off on my Teg too. the bolt for the a/c tensioner that bolts into the a/c bracket/engine mount.
I cut the belt off and pulled the a/c tensioner out. Ordered a new bolt and a/c belt. I was lucky I got the broken bolt very easy it was loose. And the rest is history. Wierd though same thing happened to me, not too long ago either!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ati2ude on Aug/09/02 said:
Same bolt broke off on my Teg too. the bolt for the a/c tensioner that bolts into the a/c bracket/engine mount.
I cut the belt off and pulled the a/c tensioner out. Ordered a new bolt and a/c belt. I was lucky I got the broken bolt very easy it was loose. And the rest is history. Wierd though same thing happened to me, not too long ago either!
yeah man. well i just got to work today, i hit it up in my computer diagram and realized that its only the compressor braket that the bolt screws in to. thats good! i had to order the bolt though, i got the belt and installation will be free....i work at the dealer! yay! but thats weird that the same thing happened to you. i asked the top mechanic here and he said that when my belts were done a year ago by someone other than the dealer (im never bringing my car back there!) they forgot to tighten the bolt up so it rattled around and snapped off! weird huh? and they call themselves Honda professionals! well im never bringing the Teg back there! im glad i got this job at the dealer!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Mine broke too. About 2 years ago, just got it fixed when I had some headwork done. They didnt charge me any labor for that so I guess it wasnt too hard to do. The bolt actually broke, leaving half of it will in the hole. Anyway I got AC back after two years and it is wonderfull....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey mines broken too
. Its also the tensioner pulley or whatever its called.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I have to bring the car back to get the bolt tapped out. I'm just glad it happened to me in December and not the summer (since I live in Florida)

·
Registered
704 Posts
br1t1shguy on Aug/09/02 said:
94, A/C compressors cant be that much can they? Man, I hope the turbo noise my car(s) AC has been making doesnt mean death for the compressors lol
u have that turbo sound too..lol my car only does it in the winter and i cant seem to pinpoint where the sound is coming from...it happens when i first start the car for about 20 seconds and then sometimes at a certain rpm it will make the sound till the car is warmed up really good...

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
never had that problem on both of my engines. but does one REALLY need A/C

·
Registered
92 Posts
how did u guys install the pulley/bracket. i have my power steering pump unbolted and put aside (not disconnected) because it's almost impossible to remove that bracket/pulley. I'm dreading putting the bracket/pulley back in, there's like NO room for movement.

My bearing was wasted so had to buy a new pulley $30. The bearing alone is $25, I wanted to use my OEM pulley & just replace the bearing but autozone had to special order the bearing and it was about same price as a new pulley w/new bearing.

any tricks or tips on how u or someone installed that bracket/pulley would help, thankx

·
Registered
233 Posts
My car also had this happen. Anyone know the part number for the bolt? Its all I need to fix mine but IDk what the part number is.

·
Registered
772 Posts
how did u guys install the pulley/bracket. i have my power steering pump unbolted and put aside (not disconnected) because it's almost impossible to remove that bracket/pulley. I'm dreading putting the bracket/pulley back in, there's like NO room for movement.

My bearing was wasted so had to buy a new pulley $30. The bearing alone is $25, I wanted to use my OEM pulley & just replace the bearing but autozone had to special order the bearing and it was about same price as a new pulley w/new bearing.

any tricks or tips on how u or someone installed that bracket/pulley would help, thankx
No tricks, it's not that hard with the PS unit out of the way which is easy in itself. I suggest once you get it all together to leave the idler pulley bracket bolt loose (the one that goes into the block) then adjust the belt with the adjusting bolt; the bracket will pivot freely while adjusting the belt. Then once the belt is adjusted, tighten the bracket bolt to its 33 ft lbs. Tighten your belts to around 1/2 inch play for used and an a little less for new ones.

My car also had this happen. Anyone know the part number for the bolt? Its all I need to fix mine but IDk what the part number is.
You should fill out your info so people know what model and year you have. On this site for instance, for my car look to 18 and work your way straight ahead to 24. I suggest OEM for everything here.
Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used a gearwrench swivel rachet & took off the pulley/bracket bolt from under engine bay, that's was the best way for me to ratchet that bolt off. Getting an allen socket or allen wrench on the pulley bolt was impossible (i.e. with my tools) with the engine bay frame obstructing. So I meticulously wrenched out that bolt that everyone seems to break, took pulley/braket out & put the bracket/pulley in a "vise" (actually wedged it in my jackstand) used a 8mm or 9mm allen socket w/1/2" drive breaker bar and broke it loose.

The bearing was a Japenese bearing so its probably 15 yrs old & i popped it out with a hammer and socket. There's only 3 pieces to the pulley: the allen bolt, spacer(metal bushing/washer), & bearing cover and bearing. The pulley from Autozone looks a little different, but IMO the OEM seems better. The autozone bearing looks exactly the same as original. The allen bolt and braket bolt are different sizes so it's impossible to install these pieces improperly.

If u want an OEM part & don't know the part #, go to any Honda/Acura parts site (delrayacura) or ur local dealership and there's illustrations of every single bolt, nut, washer, etc....with product descriptions, so do some footwork and happy restoring, peace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts