Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had an A.C.T. clutch installed on my GS-R and i would recommend it to anyone. It is definately worth every penny. I got the Xtreme Pressure Plate and the Organic Street/Race disk. The hook up is incredible!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought it was gonna be really hard to drive, but its better than i thought. It takes a little getting used to. to answer your question - yes it is a little harder to drive but not much (only in stop and go traffic)

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you just have bolt ons say good bye to your tranny....I made the same mistake and my tranny grinds now....the reason is you don't have enough power to make the engagment not so tuff on the tranny....I mean yeah it's a good clutch and since you got it that should be an excuse to add more power....good luck.....if you want a clutch that will grab super hard, act extreme is your kind of clutch

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just installed an ACT eXtreme clutch package with a Indigo 7.5lb aluminum flywheel yesterday! What a difference! Quicker throttle response and more holding power around 6k rpm on. Under boost and vtec kicking in I could the old stock clutch couldnt hold the power but now it's holding firm and pulling harder!!! Clutch engagement is alot quicker for quicker shifts!
No complaints here.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
ITR41 on Aug/04/02 said:
if you just have bolt ons say good bye to your tranny....I made the same mistake and my tranny grinds now....the reason is you don't have enough power to make the engagment not so tuff on the tranny....I mean yeah it's a good clutch and since you got it that should be an excuse to add more power....good luck.....if you want a clutch that will grab super hard, act extreme is your kind of clutch
uhh,....you wanna explain that one to me again please? he doesn't have enough power so it will ruin his tranny because he got an Xtreme pressure plate? that makes zero sense to me but I'm open minded enough to hear your explanation.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Oh thanks for chiming in MD, seriously. When I read that, I was like, "what? have I always been wrong?"...but I was too big a chicken to say anything.

And for the record, I've had my aftermarket clutch for a long time...no grinding or any tranny problems, but I'll be changing the clutch in a year probably.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the problem becomes when you make too much torque for the clutch to handle NOT when you have to more clamping force than the engine's torque. Yes the clutch will chatter. Yes the pedal effort will be up. Yes it will bite very early in the clutch pedal release. Yes it will be a headache in stop & go. But it will NOT ruin your tranny as long as you got a new throw out bearing. The preferable thing is to have what the Japanese clutches have which is a bigger diameter bearing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
well the clamping force will make it so the power is jolted through the tranny puting more stress on the tranny....if you ever looked at a new tranny and a used one the new one will have small stress marks on it from the factory but with time the marks get bigger...a super hard clutch clamping wise just makes this worse

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
there's no slip on these clutches which is why they are a headache to drive in stop and go.

This is a big misconception that there is a jolt with higher clamping force and there is damage from the jolt. I guess if the person is very unco-ordinated and had never driven standard and drove this car repeatedly that way, you may have a point.

Heat is what kills clutches. If you ride the clutch and try to slip it, the heat will build up. You should release the clutch fully...not ride it, and not try to slip it. The other way of ruining a race clutch is to dump it with excessive rpms many times but these clutches can take that kind of abuse. I don't know where the info is coming from but the high clamping force story on damaging the tranny is bogus. The thing you damage if anything is the throw out bearing...if it was not replaced and not installed properly then you have a problem. Otherwise it's no biggy. You get the extra clamping force so you can hook up the power NOW and so you can take the extra engine torque.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When i replaced my stock clutch with the ACT i did get all new JDM bearings and i also got a cv joint replaced. Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
My buddy in his eclipse went to the track with his newly installed ACT clutch and Drag Radials. He pushin close to 300hp. First run out he launched and all i heard was a loud crack and other terrible noises. Broke his driver side axle, and in his words "the tranny literally shattered". it had to all be replaced. Well i know i will not have this much power or be runnin drag slicks but this kinda scares me into not getting a upgraded clutch...

·
Registered
246 Posts
what year was you friends eclipse? if it was the 7 bolt crank and the act 2600(extreme) or higher then no wonder it broke....my buddies GST went [email protected] last week on stock axles and 350whp on street tires and the heavy duty is perfect for his car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts