Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 integra. About 6 months ago my dad was driving the car and he said that the ac stopped working. He checked under the hood and the electical wire that goes to the compressor was leaning against one of the pully gears and getting grinded away. He reconnected the wire ends and taped them together but he compressor never came back on. He took it to a mechanic and the mechanic said the compressor is shot.

This doesn't make sense to me. If the wire going to the compressor was getting grounded shouldn't a fuse have gone off. Shouldn't there also be a relay somewhere and wouldn't this have gone off first.
It was a backyard mechanic that runs a samll auto salvage. he offered to change the compressor for 250.

What do you guys think.
I have a bad nerve in my hip right now that prevent me from working on the car but i can tell/ask my dad to look at whatever you guys recommend.

Its extremely hot here (i'm in houston, tx) and would love to get this ac going.

Advice please.!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Fuses will "protect" you from shorts/grounds stuff like that. Relays dont really protect per se like you're thinking.
Did you check the underhood fuses?
Turn it on and put a multimeter to the A/Cs leads and see if its getting power - if so you could have a bad compressor.

·
Registered
272 Posts
nugget61 on Oct/10/07 said:
Fuses will "protect" you from shorts/grounds stuff like that. Relays dont really protect per se like you're thinking.
Did you check the underhood fuses?
Turn it on and put a multimeter to the A/Cs leads and see if its getting power - if so you could have a bad compressor.

You cant just tell him he has a bad compressor if hes obviously getting power... It could be a clutch issue, or even a freon issue. Best thing to do is take it to Acura or have an ASE professional look at it.

And just because your getting power before the load doesnt mean that you have a complete circuit.. You still need a ground

·
Registered
398 Posts
Getting power to the compressor is a very simple thing that anyone with a multimeter can check, so its obviously a good thing to suggest to him, as it could be evidence of a bad fuse or a larger problem. And if its getting power and still not working than a bum compressor is something to consider. Like I said before, he COULD have a bad compressor. COULD being the operative word.

And he already said he went to a mechanic and that his pop was checking it out for him - besides, it sounds like the mechanic convenient to his location is less than stellar. Personal troubleshooting is free and its a major reason why these boards are active.

I use the dealer as a costly, last ditch resort. It sounds like this is what he's trying to do as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
mm, ok then I think we should say the best way to test your A/C system would be to pull up your Electrical Wiring Diagram for the A/C system check the entire cirtuit. I personally like the approach of testing for continuity across the circuit but that at times can be misleading, voltage drop is another realitivly usefull technique. And even voltage for that matter could be usefull for a "think stupid" technique which would be and easy/good way to start.
If you find your circuit to be complete and you drop source voltage at the load then it may be safe to consider this a mechanical issue. The A/C system by law must be serviced by a trained professional due to ozone laws. So at this point you would have to take the system into a shop.
Then theres always the use of your A/C line guage set to tell you what exaclty is happening with the freon inside your lines. Excessive Pressure, Low Pressure, Vaccum, Erratic Pressure. No Pressure?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
if he says the compressor is shot then check the relays near the condensor to see if they are clicking properly. disconnect the a/c pressure switch and jump it together. tell your dad to start the car and turn on the a/c. make sure a/c button is green. right when the your dad turns on the a/c then you should hear a click and the fans kick on. if all of that works then for sure your compressor is shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.