Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with thier A/C sucking up power when it is running on hot days?

Whenever the A/C has to work really hard I can feel every time the compresser starts to spool up. It causes a slight blip in the power as if you loose power for a second. It does this spuratically. It is only ever so slight but very annoying. I know a guy with a Prelude and he has the exact same problem. Is this a Honda thing? Does Honda use small alternators or something. It seems that Honda A/C over powers the ability of the car to run everything.

BTW it only does it when I am driving, not sitting, so it seems that everything is competing for the power.

Thx
Aaron

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
actually it does this on every car with ac and it does it all the time the ac is on. you only really feel it when you start out but it is there all the time

·
Registered
461 Posts
mine does this also. it isn't all hondas though. my friend has a 2001 accord v6 and you can't even tell it is running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you kids dont like it so much just cut the belt...same for power steering....two belts that pull off the engine are removed...thus eliminating some loss of power

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
or when you are racing and need the power just flip the switch to off. so then you have ac and all the power you need

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I love the way the engine feels when the A/C is off, but I have to put up with the frequent blips with it on becuase it is so DAMN hot right now. It seems that this is normal though so that makes me feel better. I couldn't bring myself to cutting the belts, I would definately regret that!!

Thx
A

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
there is no need to cut your ac belt thats f**kin dumb if you dont wanna loose power from your ac then dont turn your ac on

cutting your power steering belt is equally as dumb if you gained any real performance from doing that then people on TI would be reccomending it and there would be articles on it

ive had my car for like 2 months now and i have used the ac twice i feel such a performance loss when i have it on i would rather sweat then drive slow not to mention it hurts your fuel economy

i know there are hotter places but it can get to 100 here on the bad days and with my windows down and sunroof open it never gets "that hot" deal with the heat or loose performance its a simple choice i chose to deal

·
Registered
267 Posts
I hate the loss of power (and gasoline!) so much, I usually just leave it off and put my windows down. only on really hot days do I put the a/c on, and usually by that time I'm so sweaty I don't care all that much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow you people are funny
when your AC is OFF the only power loss is through the parasitic friction of your AC pulley and belt. When the AC button is pressed oN the AC mechanism engages AN ELECTRIC CLUTCH, that is when the motor has to begin feeding the AC some horsepower.
and just for everyone in the world, LOSE is what happens when you race me, LOOSE is what your mom is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah AC hurts gas mileage. I drive 50 miles north and 50 back home south everyday. I sometimes just drive the highway with the windows down to cut on gas. ---feels like you're going faster he he. Also has anyone ever felt the slight boost at about 4K rmp in 3rg gear when the AC is on. Feels like a spit of NOS! Maybe its just me.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ok first off kingkash420 calm down. ok....
USC_ did give a suggestion that can help, and cutting your powersteering belt can give a slight increase in performance. the question of whether it is enough to merit losing your PS is up to the individual.
And second Chase, just letting you know that it actually wastes less gas to have your windows up and run the AC then it does to drive your car with the windows down.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
gotsomerevs on Aug/13/02 said:
and just for everyone in the world, LOSE is what happens when you race me, LOOSE is what your mom is.
if you have to bang people's moms to get laid then your possibly the biggest loser ever

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
my friends bmw, when he ahs the a/c on, when he floors it, the a/c compressor shuts off for a few seconds, thus, no power hog.. you can feel it to, the air coming out of the vents goes form cold, to hot, back to cold

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hootb18 on Aug/13/02ok first off kingkash420 calm down. ok.... said:
USC_ did give a suggestion that can help, and cutting your powersteering belt can give a slight increase in performance. the question of whether it is enough to merit losing your PS is up to the individual.
And second Chase, just letting you know that it actually wastes less gas to have your windows up and run the AC then it does to drive your car with the windows down.
im very calm man but there are people on this site that take advice on here very seriously and i would hate to see a thread later tonight titled "Help my car is ruinied cause i cut my belts"

and your statement about driving with the ac on and windows up wastes less gas then driving with it off with the windows down is absolutley false no way i believe that the slight drag you recieve is gonna merit that

if you have some reaserch with graphs and numbers to show proof of your statement i'll be more then happy to take back what i said but for now i dont believe that for a second

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ok i fail to see how you saying that you are calm when you are cussing people out for just giving a suggestion when you in fact dont know what you are saying. alot of people do take off their PS and AC belts and that does increase HP. whether people want to do this or not is up to them.
and you dont have to believe me, this was just a test that was done my Consumer Reports about a year ago with various different cars using highway, and city driving. now i am not going to spend the time looking through my entire house searching for this issue to prove a point on a thread about what ac does to your performance.
so take it for what its worth, you dont want to believe me thats fine. i could give a sh*t. but like i said before calm down and be respectful.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
say what you want youll know when im not calm

on a off topic question do you and surfer x have the same car in you avatar picture taken from differnet angles?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well how about this, if thats how your replies are, then when i say "calm down", thats my way of telling you, your not calm and need to calm down.

Oh and i dont know about the avatar thing, i was thinking that the other day too. Very well could be considering the are both Realtime R's and i think realtime has at the most 4-5 r's for racing. could very well be less then that.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ohh so thats not surfer's car in his avatar lol?

this whole time i though he owned that beast

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
ChaseKB on Aug/13/02 said:
I hate the loss of power (and gasoline!) so much, I usually just leave it off and put my windows down. only on really hot days do I put the a/c on, and usually by that time I'm so sweaty I don't care all that much.
He never said he puts the AC on when the windows are down. He says he only puts it on during the hot days, when he's already sweaty, probably from being outside...He didn't mean he has the windows down AND the AC on, my boy C is smarter than that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hootb18 on Aug/13/02 said:
This does not make much sense to me. I have always heard that using the a/c kills your gas mileage, and given the obvious drain on the engine when it is on, it seems to fit that it would be a downer for your mpg. Despite your reluctance to find that article, I would have to say that I need some sort of proof before I start putting my windows up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts