Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started the car yesterday, I heard a rubbing noise. What I notice is that the AC belt is off the pulley and was rubbing the Alternator belt. The AC belt lost one of it's teeth. What could of caused it?
I've cutted the AC belt and restart the car but didn't drive it far except up the tow truck. There are some wabble (sp?) sounds and I'm not sure what it is.

Will there be any internal damages? What should I check?

The car is a 1997 RS auto with 119k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
This is a long shot, but have you taken the crank pulley off recently? If the crank pulley bolt was tightened too much when put back on, it will cause the bolt to back out and will snap. If the bolt is starting to back out the crank pulley will come out at an angle causing the belts to rub. Anyway, check to see if the crank pulley is flush with the block and not "slanted" or however you want to put it. Just a suggestion. Maybe the belt is old and streched really far, but you'd hear a squeeling noise before it completely jumped off the pulley, and I don't know if the belt can even stretch that much.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would definitely check the other belt that could have been affected by the AC belt, or if they need to be replaced. Belts get worn ou after a while.

Inspect alt., power steering, and AC comp. pulleys for damage or debris.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't replaced the crank pulley or messed with it. Timing belt was replaced about 65k-70k miles. The Alt belt would probably need to be replace since the ac belt was rubbing it. I'll have the mechanic check the pulleys.

I just not sure what caused it and hopefully no damages to the internals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Sam,
This happened to me about 6 months ago, the problem for me was the A/C pulley, specifically the bolt that secures it. This needed to be replaced so it was causing my A/C pulley to wabble and the belts to slip and rub. You can either have a shop replace this part for you, or you can always just bypass the A/C if you dont want to fix the problem for some reason. I would deff. suggest replacing all of the belts at the same time.

Matt

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've changed the A/C belt. The mechanic said that everything else is fine. The pullies are fine as well. However, the belts are very loud. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's time for another valve adjustment. But the sound came from the belts area. Would you guys have any ideas?

·
Registered
539 Posts
he might have overtightened the belts? what kind of belts are they? i use gatorbacks which have little noise but other lower-quality belts i usually put on some belt dressing to help quiet their squeal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the same problem, turned out to be my AC belt was too tight. After a couple sessions at the drag strip/bad wheel hop the bolt that holds the second ac pulley above the main ac pulley came loose and was causing the belt to woble. everyone told me it was the bearings on the alternator but they were wrong. Eventually the bolt snapped and the pulley fell off. Now if have half of the bolt stuck in the ac bracket but at least the noise went away. I highly recommend upgrading your torque mount/inserts or an engine damper, wheel hop creates more problems than just lost of traction.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^^^
That's EXACTLY what happened to me! The idler pulley for the A/C snapped off from the block while I was 'speeding' and I had no A/C for a whole summer b/c i couldn't get the bolt out of the block.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lately, when I start the car in the morning, I can still heard some noise around the belt areas. It comes from belt area as if something is rubbing. What should I check?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a question
Whenever i turn on my car my ac compresser belt squeals REALLY loud
Well i thought it was squealing becasue of a power steering fluid leak
So i take everything off and clean it real good so theres no excess fluid around and i got new o rings and fixed the leak i think BUT IT STILL SQUEALS
maybe its jsut me but its soo annoying
so heres the question what can i do to stop that and what else should i have done in the first place when i was down there?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
gsrswapd on Mar/15/06 said:
I have a question
Whenever i turn on my car my ac compresser belt squeals REALLY loud
Well i thought it was squealing becasue of a power steering fluid leak
So i take everything off and clean it real good so theres no excess fluid around and i got new o rings and fixed the leak i think BUT IT STILL SQUEALS
maybe its jsut me but its soo annoying
so heres the question what can i do to stop that and what else should i have done in the first place when i was down there?
How old is the belt? It could be stretched out. I don't know if you tried to tighten it, but it may just be time for a new belt... They are only like 15 dollars at autozone or advance auto parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.