Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been shopping ALL day for a timing belt kit. Started at 400$ from Honda, then 300$ at my auto parts store, then I thought I was good to go until I looked online, 200$!!! wow, can't beat that!

Then I went to another site, they have a Gates timing belt kit (Water pump, belt, tensioner and spring) all for 99$, 125$ after tax and shipping, and supposedly gates is a reputable brand

It almost sounds too good to be true. I dare not post the website name since I do not want to appear as if I am advertising, but have any of you gotten ridiculous deals on Timing Belt Kits?

I am in Vancouver BC located in canada, and this website has a canadian name but it is in the states...... I can drive across the border to pick it up, no biggie, but I am amazed that I can get a Gates kit for so cheap...... Anything I should watch out for? I don't usually buy online

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues

I bought this kit off eBay (which was GMB parts and Gates belt) and it went on and works perfectly

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gates stuff is usually pretty good. I know a lot of people who have used the timing kits for their jettas, miatas, etc. I bought this kit for my own car but I ended up selling it to someone on here. The tensioner that came with the integra ls kit was a Koyo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just installed the Gates kit last December and haven't had any issues. Then again, only have 5k miles on it too!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Gates stuff is usually pretty good. I know a lot of people who have used the timing kits for their jettas, miatas, etc. I bought this kit for my own car but I ended up selling it to user aw614. No clue if he put it in yet. The tensioner that came with the integra ls kit was a Koyo.
I don't recall buying the timing belt kit off of you, just the rear sway bar.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Gates stuff is good. Well made in America. I installed a Gates timing belt kit with water pump in July this year when I got my new car. And I have been selling Gates products for the past 5 years, no issues. Quality stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the record I ended up buying off ebay.

GATES TCKWP184 is the part number, includes timing belt, water pump, tensioner and spring, not bad for 85$ including shipping :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I going to replace my cam seal due to a leak, and I figured i would do the Timing belt/ water pump etc. I have only 83,000 miles on my car, but I just got it recently, and I figure why not change it all at once. My question is this.

Is this Kit OEM and a pretty good deal? Is there a better option? I just thought is ask some opinons.

Integra Complete Timing Belt Water Pump Kit Japan 96 01 | eBay

or maybe this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AISIN-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Gasket-Kit-965-72027-Acura-Integra-GS-1-8L-97-01-/361269684065?fits=Year:1998|Make:Acura|Model:Integra&hash=item541d59e761:g:wJcAAOSwstxVLFcz&vxp=mtr

Or dhould I just change out the Cam seal and Valve cover gasket to fix teh leak.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
at 84k, i'd be suggesting to be on the safe than sorry side and do it all... it's really all not "hard", just time consuming

a toss up between the kits, but i'd go with the first one you linked to

·
Registered
41 Posts
at 84k, i'd be suggesting to be on the safe than sorry side and do it all... it's really all not "hard", just time consuming

a toss up between the kits, but i'd go with the first one you linked to
Tks for the reply.
I found this kit also. I figure one of these will suffice. Any other opinons

Complete Timing Belt Water Pump Kit Integra 94 01 B18B1 CRV 97 01 B20B4 B20Z2 | eBay

here is on i linked earlier

Integra Complete Timing Belt Water Pump Kit Japan 96 01 | eBay

Im gonna try to learn to do this stuff myself. Should I get a thermostat while im at it? any other parts I should get while Im tackling this project?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Start right here:
Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement on a G3 Teg - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

it's definitely a part that fails and you will have the coolant drained anyways, it would make sense to do that.

Here is the walk through for that:
G3 Thermostat Replacement - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

This site is great for learning how to fix your own car. I sure hope i can get this all done without messing something up :)

I for some reason opted to just get OEM parts since I would be saving on labor. here is the parts list I got. Did I get everything?

1. Water Pump part number# 19200-p75-003 $83.00
2 Timing Belt Part number# 14400-p7j-004 $55.00
3. Valve cover Gasket part number# 12341-PR4-A00 $15.50
4. Thermostat part number # 19301-paa-306 $20.00
5. Tensioner part number# 14510-p30-003 $21.00
6. Tensioner Spring part number# 14516-p4r-a00 $6.00
7. AC BELT/SERP BELT/ ALT BELT Part Numbers# 38920-PM5-A04, 56992-P72-004, 38920-P75-A02 $55.00 for the set
8. Cam Shaft seals X2 part number# 91203-PFB-013 $17.00 for set of 2
9. Front Main Crankshaft seal PArt number# 91212-PR3-003 $10.99
10. NOT OEM.. JDM password cam seal Black $18.99

So instead of a kit I could have gotten for 170 bucks i ended up spending a total of....
302.48 dollars!!

Ok sit down for this one....

I have two 98 tegs so I had to buy double of all..

98 ls non v tec 4 door sedan 271,000 miles ( owned for 15 years)
98 gs non v tec 2 door hatch 83,000 miles ( owned for 8 months)

604.50 I just spent on parts.. :driving:

I just thought Id put the part numbers up there and see what everyone thought about OEM vs Aftermarket OEM

I will say that I had the dealership do my timing belt/water pump on my 4 door sedan at 91,000 miles. I actually have not changed the Belts or water pump since then. So I basically have gotten 180,000 miles out of my current OEM water pump/ belt etc.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
604.50 I just spent on parts.. :driving:
I'm not sure why, it would have made so much more sense to save $400 and spent that on upgrades/maintenance needs, but your $$ i guess

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure why, it would have made so much more sense to save $400 and spent that on upgrades/maintenance needs, but your $$ i guess

I sat and pondered getting the Cheaper kit with Japan oem style manufacturers, but I guess i just wasnt 100 percent sure on them

Honestly, I had an 01 Acura TL that had belonged to my Father and When he passed away, I was given his Acura TL. He took meticulous car of the car and always had Michelin Tires, and Higest quality parts for maintennce.

Anyway, I always babied the car and tried to take care of it. Sadly, I was rear ended by a cell phone driver and my Dads car was totaled. The insurance money is what I got my ACura Integra 98 Hatch with 83,000 miles with.

So in a weird way, i still feel like this Integra is somehow still my Dads Car so I guess I just wantd to try and put the best parts on it.

As far as my other teg car goes, I prob should haev gottent the cheaper kit and used the extra for repairs.

Oh well, im pretty happy i guess . Ill just have to work my butt off for a few weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts