Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR DC2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
This is my very first post here on T-I. I've surfed some of the threads on here from time to time in the past and decided to sign up for my future endeavors with my 2000 Integra GSR! To give a little background on the car - I got the car almost 6 years ago as a trade when I traded my RSX Type-S A-Spec and my '01 Explorer Sport Trac for an '07 Sierra Denali 1500. Fast forward about a year and the car threw a drive belt and thought, "why not do a '98 spec JDM front end while the car is down?"

Well, through some hard times and another truck later, I finally get the car back with a few issues that needed to be addressed to make it drive-able. I needed to button up the front end, install the front bumper, install a new headlight bulb (gosh the stock ballasts and bulbs for the JDM cars are expensive), turn signal bulbs, install the coolant reservoir, ball joints, tie rods, end links, valve cover gasket, new seats and moreover - address the brakes. Initially the car had the stock, 4x100 brakes, they ultimately locked up and for the life of me, could not continue to keep driving on the original components.

Fast forward to this time last year, I decided to pick up a '98 Spec JDM ITR 5 lug conversion along with some rather nice DC2 Black Recaros. The seats were rather easy, the 5 lug was a pain when it came down to the axles! The 5 lug came with knuckles, new-ish upper control arms, seemingly good 36mm axles, calipers and decent pads/rotors and installed Russell Stainless Steel brake lines. Install went well, I broke the driver side axle during the install which come to find out, a '97 Prelude axle worked perfectly for this side and was told by a very helpful member on H-T that Type-S axles would also be a great replacement.

The car drove great for a few weeks until one of the front calipers locked up. In a bind, I found my knight in shining armor. My own brother (with of whom of which has a beautiful EG hatch) did a USDM ITR conversion for his car and instead of using the stock calipers, he went Spoon. Slapped those puppies on, installed new rotors/pads, made sure I bled the brakes from front to back (I can't even count how many times I made sure they were bled) tested the ABS module and all was well! Until.... the brakes locked up again.... Front and rear this time only a few weeks later. Which is where it stands now. The car has been sitting since July of last year up to today.

Between now and then, I decided to have a friend of mine work on the car at his shop because maybe I'm overlooking something that he won't. I also happened to pick up some Spoon calipers to replace the fronts. Long story short, upon the car arriving at his shop, the car slid off of the back of his trailer and I was trying to hunt for a matching driver side door and fender to replace what was damaged. Ultimately, all damage has been fixed and it's time to get back to the initial cause for me sending the car off in the first place - the brakes... I don't want to install these beautiful Spoon calipers without having the doubt that the brakes will lock up again....

So with all of that being said, I reach out to all of you asking for your help because I'm not sure where else to look as to why they keep locking up/sticking. Should I be looking towards the master cylinder area? The proportion valve area? The ABS area? The hard lines? Do note: The master cylinder is original to the car along with the proportion valve, hard lines, and ABS module - over 220k miles and almost 20 years, they all still seem to serve their purposes.

The pedal feel has always been good even upon noticing the brakes locking up. The ABS module also is something I feel I can rule out because I was able to test the module via Autel and it functioned as it should. No ABS light appeared upon the brakes locking up also. The Russell brake lines are routed just as the stock ones were and don't believe they are getting kinked although I'm not totally ruling that out either because they are longer. Brake fluid level is good, I don't see any leaks or puddles on the ground of it. So I'm down to reaching out to all of you and others over on H-T to see if anyone has experienced any of these issues and what you have done to resolve them, or what you would do beforehand to help put my mind at ease after installing the Spoons.

Thanks in advance,
John

1 - 1 of 1 Posts