Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 civic hatch, with a 98 ls b18b1 swapped in and bar'd. Before my current troubles, she ran great except, she burnt oil bad under hard acceleration (with my driving about a qt.every few days)
Then, one night going over hwy 17 (a messed up mountain pass with no shoulders for 20 miles) she started flashing the c.e.l. i couldn't pull over so i decided to take her as far as i could. within 3 miles it started sounding like she was misfiring, and as i went up the hill it only got worse till i made it home. She'll start now, it aint burning oil when idling, but she sounds like a tractor and shakes violently. I can smell unburnt gas in the tailpipe. Is it a burnt valve? Im Pretty sure my timing was super advanced. Any help would be awesome, i have a remanufactured p75 b18b1 head sittin in my kitchen ready to go also, btw.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a complete tune up about 250 miles ago but i havent checked my plugs or compression yet since the codes popped up. i was about to switch the whole head cause this engine was abused before i got ahold of her and seemed to be dumping oil through the valve guides. Funny thing about the plugs, the ones that were in it before my tune up, were way to long almost like someone put d series ones in.. but being a swap anything's possible with the group of idiots that owned it before me :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do i check if she jumped a tooth? I acctually wasn't pushing her hard when this all occurred, it just popped the cel on and got worse and worse as i made my way home. Im going to put that other head on, but im just making sure im on the right path

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for ignition timing, i haven't touched a thing cause, it starts, and im to scared to let it warm up enough to do the timing right. Its violent

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My main question is: does this sound like a burnt exhaust valve? Will slapping on a new head solve my problems?

·
Registered
440 Posts
pm'ed you a link to the shop manual.
turn the crank counterclockwise til it's at tdc
then pull valve cover and see if cams line up.
i've driven 17 countless times.
neighbor went over the edge but is ok lol.
love them santa cruz mountains.
cant say i miss the traffic out there...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Perfect! Ill check her out when i get out of the cleanroom at work, 17s always fun, but she's built for highway 9. I have all the factory service manuals, both teggy ones (for my engine) and a civic one for the rest of my car, but thanks for the link, it's always good to have a digital copy to :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry i haven't updated, im taking care of 2 homeless friends and haven't had a chance to Get out and wrench, Im going to try to get some work done today on her though

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally ripped into my engine, there's about a pinkey-nail sized chunk missing out of one of my exhaust valves on number three. Enough to have absolutely zero compression lol I ended up buying the crank tool from Orielys for 23$ :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the car runs, but I'm burning like a qt. Of oil every two days... Must be my rings..... Pistons were not stock, 0.50 over and wiggled side to side when the head was off but I didn't want to believe my bottom end was messed up.. So now I'm going to rip it out and probably build up a stock block with forged internals and dual valve springs to take my driving lol and be reliable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts