Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might plan to trade in my 98' GSR with 72,000 miles for a 94' RX-7 twin turbo with 80,000 miles for $14,000. you guys think this is a good idea. anyone out there have any experience on a RX-7 or have freinds that have a RX-7. if you do how is it running? try not to be biased because you have an integra.

·
Registered
897 Posts
rx-7's rock...if you have someone that can rebuild the engine after about every 50,000. but...other than they...they are street gods.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
d00d, been looking at 95 rx-7 too......found a good deal...not sure about wear on the turbos though...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wait, i'm confused.....sorry

Your trading in your 98 GSR w/ 72000mi for a 94 RX7 twin turbo w/ 80000mi. Now does that include you paying him/her $14000 or you get the money? What's with the $14000? If it's an even trade, hell go for it but just to let you know around 120000mi...you might be looking at a new engine b/c performance goes down then. Their use to be a guy down my area who had a 93 RX7 twin turbo for sale. He wanted to sell it for $14000 and it had a new motor that had 35000mi on it. I wanted it so bad but no $$$ then b/c i got my teg. So sad

·
Registered
385 Posts
the 95 is the year to get..there was a problem with the 94's..don't remember what it was..be very careful..get a rotary mechanic to look at the car..rx=7's are notorius for blowing up when not taken care of....and they require EXTREME care...good luck...I recently drove a cherry 95 with a couple mods on it..like 325hp at the wheels..that car is the best handling car stock out of the box...great car..just can be a headache if not taken care of...not to mention there aren't many rotary mechanics and when you find one..he's gonna charge u like you own a porsche..so just be ready for it..good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
one of my friends had an 88 rx-7 Twin Turbo, Tenth annaversity(sp too late at night) and that thing flew but as peole are saying the engine goes bad i believe its the apex(sp) seals and to replace those you need to tear out your whole engine... but if that has been already replaced go for it

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
integragsr6 on Aug/22/02Wait said:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] ] Your trading in your 98 GSR w/ 72000mi for a 94 RX7 twin turbo w/ 80000mi. Now does that include you paying him/her $14000 or you get the money? What's with the $14000?
sorry for confusing you but yea i trade in my car for the blue book value.. which is around 12,000 and pay the difference for what the RX-7 is sold at.

so if you guys were in my shoes would you do this even though the RX-7 has a reputation of high maintenance?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
hmmmmm, does he want to trade with my 2000gsr blue book value? I think that's a great deal, if you could maintane it though. For me, i can't afford that car.....too much up keep. Oh yea thanks for unconfusing me

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I've driven a few and owned one; I wouldn't take another, even if it was given to me.

Take everything you like about your Integra (fuel economy, moderate insurance cost, relibality, cheap parts) and just throw it all out the window. Take all the sh*t left over and you've got a RX-7 turbo.

The motors are impossible to work on, so expect to buy a new one every 40k ($3,500- you'll want the 3mm Apex seals). Horrible cooling issues. Poor air metering device. Poor fule delivary system. Horrible, redundant electronics. Kick ass weight and great stock handeling. These are just my opinons on a stock RX-7. I personally know guys driving on their 8th engine that have small singal turbos with more safety modifications than performance modifications.

Mazda should change their slogan to "Zoom-Zoom-Boom."

Go to any of the various RX-7 web forums. You'll find they spend more time trouble shooting a car, than actually upgrading them. Search "coolent loss," "apex seal," and "detonation" as keywords. If this still doens't change your mind, may God help you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Their good engines (RX-7's that is), it's just it has horrible gaskets and stuff... once those go out... man it is all

·
Registered
62 Posts
noooo. DO NOT! I know a lot about rotaries...more than I do piston-based engines...so I know a lot about rx7s...but without gettin technical...i'll leave it rather simple...unless you have GOOD financial stability where you can afford to pay the costs of the rebuilds on the turbos/engine and poss. transmission(my friends gettin his rebuilt for $2300 right now)...including labor...do NOT get one, because WHEN one of those three, if not all three components go...it'll be a big dent in your wallet, and hopefully you'll have the money in your wallet to dent...stick with the gsr....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
They are good cars, just as long as you know what you're doing and know how to deliver the right amount of fuel to the motor at the right time. If you get one, I suggest the APEXi fuel controller, after that...smooth sailing...or...uh...speeding rather.

·
Registered
301 Posts
yea rx7s are known for unreliability. and i read in a magazine that the motor cant handle too much boost, which i think what makes it break down quickly. well if i were you, id look around for a n/a supra. thats like the most reliable engine i know. i think it was like 500hp on stock block???

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would say go for it. RX-7's are awesome. one of my car club team mates has a 93 RX-7 R1 & he loves it to death.

If you want to know anything & everything about an RX-7, go to this site. These guys build & tune nothing but RX-7s all day long.

Rotory Performance in Dallas Texas

My friend's RX-7 should be coming out of that shop today with a brand new built race motor running 15psi on non-sequential twin turbos. With his Mickey Thompson ET Street tires, he revs to 8000rpm & drops the clutch & brings the front end 2 inches off the ground. As for reliability of the 7's motor. Rotory motors were build friggin great. Worst case scenario would be to blow an Apex seal, which in our motors would be equivilient to blowing a piston ring. Still though, the 7's are fast with only 1 rotor when that happens. There are some custom build RX-7 motors that are 3 & even 4 rotor styles which are ungoldly in power.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I love RX-7's - my uncle had a sweet ass one - but liek most people said stay away unless you got extra time and money just burning a hole in your pocket....

RX-7's: Look but don't touch!!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
From what I have read (and I am far from an expert) the rotary engine has the potential to be a very reliable and powerful engine. Due to its few rotating parts, and very simple design, there is less that can go wrong.

The reality is that Mazda has been unable to really get the motors full potential out when it comes to reliability and durability. When one of the few things that can go wrong, does... you are looking at a new engine or at least a rebuild.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh, & if you are wondering why my friend's RX-7 is in the shop. Well, he sort of cranked up the boost too high. Somewhere around 22psi on sequential turbos. He was racing the Horsepower Store's WRX. He won that race, but blew an Apex seal & melted a few vacuum lines. He was happy as hell though, lol. /shrug

P.S.
When the 7 comes out of the shop, we are going Viper hunting. There is supposedly a race already set up between my friend's 7 & some dude's fixed up Viper. I'll let ya know how it turns out :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts