Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Month ago I bought a ’95 SE with automatic transmission (107k miles). Nice car and everything, but my wife’s ’90 GS also with automatic (214k miles) can beat it any time. The 90 is very responsive (despite the engine code 1), just tap an accelerator a little bit and it jumps. on the other hand, with 95 I have to floor the accelerator to get it jump. Another thing is that I noticed, 95 will quickly shift from 1st into 2nd gear and once in 2nd, it will take forever to accelerate and shift into 3rd. This is especially the case entering the curve when slowing down will downshift to 3rd or even 2nd, and then exiting the curve as I press accelerator again it accelerates sooooo slow, that is painful. Generally it is slow and less responsive in lower RPMs.

Any ideas? Could it be something with the transmission or computer? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Did you do a tune up on it after you bought it? It could be something as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
yeah thats def the ticket to take... I know what u mean by taking so long to shift from 2nd to 3rd.. i got a 99 LS auto and it is horrible at 2nd to third... i'm so imberrassed to say that my cousins 89 civic hatchback (DX) with manuel with custom exhaust can give me a run for my money....

Frank

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yup, a good tuneup sounds about right.

Spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel filter, valve adjustment, tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolant

It should feel like a new car after that :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have a 95 se auto also, and although it has never been especially slow, i regapped the spark plugs and tightened up the throttle cable and it made a pretty big difference from a dead start. i changed the tranny fluid the other day and it now shifts alot smoother.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
umm, another small YET big thing to look out for the the currect tire pressure/// if your ruing low (even 5psi) on the front tires. u're car will feel slow as hell.. I know cause i just check my tires yesterday, and now it run a lot better...
(small chage, free, big difference)

Frank

·
Registered
177 Posts
after reading your thread again i think it might be a different problem, like your throttle position sensor or your valves need adjustment. and if you have the time take off your intake hose and open the throttle body flap and use a flashlight to look inside the intake manifold. it probably has a ton of gummy stuff in it. try a throttle body cleaner and some fuel system cleaner on a low tank of gas. as for the shifting problem, drain and replace your transmission fluid(use honda fluid). it's real easy the drain plug is located on the passenger side and you don't even have to jack up the car, just warm up the car, turn it off, remove the plug, clean it off(there is no filter because the plug is magnetic)drain into suitable container, and replace with 3.9 quarts of honda fluid. that's it. if this doesn't make a difference check the engine compression.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts