Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new, low mileage motor into my 95 GSR. The old one had issues with a little bit of black soot coming out the tailpipe. I figure that this is probably either the piston rings or, somehow, the valves, since black smoke means burning fuel. Now, with this in mind, what is this motor worth? I wanted to keep it to turn into my project motor but that is not feasible at this time. I was thinking $2500-2750 since it needs a rebuild. Is this too high? Too low? I appreciate any honest answers, and yes, I am selling the motor, I just need to know what to sell it for.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't think it needs a full rebuild, just a few things here and there. There is 109000 miles on the motor.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, what is wrong with it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing wrong with it is that when it was in the car, there was black soot coming out the tailpipe. I've been told that this means that the rings have worn out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I chose to swap motors because I felt that would be in the best interest of the car.

Would it be possible that I could do better by parting it out? Selling the intake manifold, head, block, etc. all separate?

·
Registered
31 Posts
honestly dude i dont think anyone is giong to want to pay more that 1000 first knowing that something is wrong with the motor and then the miles

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'll give you $250 for the block as is with no internals.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have one buyer who needs to give me final word on what he wants from the motor. After that, or if that falls through, I will let you know.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Downshift on Sep/21/02 said:
I figure that this is probably either the piston rings or, somehow, the valves, since black smoke means burning fuel.
of course you're burning fuel, thats what your car is running on. oh man, i really hope you got it checked out before deciding you needed a whole other motor. BLACK smoke means you're burning RICH, BLUE smoke means you're burning OIL. if it was a piston ring, you would be burning oil and you would see BLUE smoke.

its possible that you wasted money buying another motor when you didnt need one. the problem could have been something as minor as an o2 sensor.

·
Registered
523 Posts
yeah i have a friend who is running really rich with his new CTR piston setup. Black soot was coming out of his tailpipe as well. Im pretty sure its not that big of a deal. He just had the whole thing rebuilt

·
Registered
49 Posts
yup i totally agree i dont hear of too many people swaping in a new engine just because the have a little black smoke on thier tailpipe. i figure if u can get a new engine just cause of a little black smoke u can probably afford to donate that engine to me

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, everyone can think what they want to about whether it made sense to swap. BUT IT MADE SENSE FOR ME!!! the old motor had over 108000 miles on it, the new motor does not. There are other reasons why I felt that it was a better deal, but you know what? I don't have to defend my actions to this board.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No, you don't.

Nothing feels worse than having people tell you that you're purchase was a mistake.

If it made sense to you, good call.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'll offer $1000 + shipping. Hope you don't think this is low-balling, but an engine that needs a rebuild, tranny, and related parts is steep at your asking price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts