Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...heres the deal..my distributor with 260,000 mi on it is making alot of noise , a fast rotating metallic sound..and it is on an engine with 77,000 mi. I can literally hear the dist. going around when i let off the gas if my exhaust is loud, or when im just crusing i can hear it..

its very annoying. my injectors are not the problem because i have replaced o rings and i took a stehoscope to the top of the housing and it is definately coming from the distributor. Now ive read all the posts about distributor noises and i couldnt find wether they make a nice rebuild kit or not? or should i just go buy a new one from honda? this noise is loud it makes my engine sound like its sh*t.

ive heard of tightening the timing belt too, but wouldnt that be too early @ only 77,000? also another question..the timing built doesnt say oem honda on it..it says something like power stop or sumthing? is that honda but thats just who makes it for honda? and the honda symbol could be somewhere else on the belt?

thanks for any help. peace

·
Registered
948 Posts
Have you taken the cap and rotor off and inspected it to see if there is anything visual wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds like the dizzy is hitting the points on the inside of the cap i would take it apart ASAP and see whats wrong

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Reply To Furious94LS:
Pull the cap, Mine did this and the screw fell out =( I had to replace the cap and rotor.

ok ill do that tomarrow..but i have a msd procap w/ external coil and a new rotor button with less than 5,000mi on it.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Reply To Version 4 User:
sounds like the dizzy is hitting the points on the inside of the cap i would take it apart ASAP and see whats wrong   also not the problem..

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Well thats more of a reason to check it, maybe the rotor screw was not put on tight eneough. If not your probably going to have to get a new distrib.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Reply To Furious94LS:
Well thats more of a reason to check it, maybe the rotor screw was not put on tight eneough. If not your probably going to have to get a new distrib.     do u mean whole  new distributor in it self? well there goes some more money..i guess i should get one since that one has around 260grand on it. I guess i should go with oem honda? i need a new cap anyhow since the studs on the cap are all green since moisture got in my cap
 but i also heard that if i can move the distributor shaft sideways or up and down thats bad and it needs replaced? can the gears inside the dist. also get messed up? thanks again.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Yes you will need a new one if it's bad. New ones are around $600 or so. You should try to locate a used one or a rebuilt one. Have you checked the rotor screw yet?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Furious94LS on Feb/27/04 said:
Yes you will need a new one if it's bad. New ones are around $600 or so. You should try to locate a used one or a rebuilt one. Have you checked the rotor screw yet?
no i havent checked the rotor screw yet..i am at school now so when i get back home ill be sure to check it..Do you know if the timing belt that i have is OEM Honda? because it says something like Powerstop on it and no Honda>? does powerstop make the belt for honda? i dont think they do. but im not sure.. thanks.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also i dont have the rotor housing..like the black plastic piece that goes under the rotor button..if that helps any..but back when i had the other motor when i was putting on the procap i noticed that the rotor button was rubbing against the rotor housing piece causing the scrapings of plastic to fall into the bottom of the housing..what would cause the rotor button to be rubbing up against the black housing piece? does this mean that the shaft is wobbling and causing it to rub on it in certain places?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts