Team Integra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 3756 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Extremely extremely f**king impressive. This kind of work requires balls and alot of knowhow, props props props.

Where are you doing this? Where did you get the frame/unibody experience to locate this sh*t?

A few concerns I have that you've probably already addressed:

A: if you're using prelude brakes out back, how are you going to balance the braking?

B: Please, if at all possible, put some kind of limited slip diff into the tranny first. That RWD conversion teg, while front engine, was useless because of its lack of an LSD.

Crazy stuff man, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
this is awsome man keep it up dont give up if people tell you its impossible well f**k them!!! i wanna see this happen and im sure everyone does and im sure no one wants it more than you do it!!!! doo it!! do it!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ryziez on Sep/05/04 said:
DAMN YOU!!!! i had that exact same idea, i was just waiting to gather up so extra cash to do it, except my plans were to use an NSX motor
while it would take up quite a bit more room, it would allow for a nice small sporty, comfy ****pit, and it would weild incredible performance numbers. but it would require complete re-tuning of the suspension. but none the less, good work!

*edit* did i just say 'good work'? scratch that! i meant incredible work!
Post #DC2H22-8
Well, neither one of us has the monoply on this idea. There are already quite a few projects of this nature out there. Check one of my previous posts with links to Honda-Tech and kimini.com which contain lots of info on mid-engine RWD conversions going on.

If you were to use the complete drivetrain and rear substructure from an NSX, including the rear suspension, I doub't you'd have to do much reworking. The NSX rear suspension is already "setup" for rear wheel drive. Don't give up on your idea and thanks for your encouraging words.

Dave

PS: Another project I was involved with:
Harrier Mazda RX83-C

·
Registered
325 Posts
monster garage eat your heart out...man you should get discovery channel to sponsor this project and document it.

mad props to all the effort and time you've put in so far. you have many more long nights ahead but it will be once of a kind.

man i only wish i had the know how and balls to tackle a project like this.

*bows down, we are not worthy*

·
Registered
215 Posts
man, this is nice, but one thing that worries me is that, is this safe? because you had to cut off a part of the body which pretty lessens the rigidity of it?

i could be wrong, if i am, then im sorry

·
Registered
887 Posts
dfddfd2 on Sep/05/04 said:
Quote: Ryziez on Sep/05/04DAMN YOU!!!! i had that exact same idea, i was just waiting to gather up so extra cash to do it, except my plans were to use an NSX motor
while it would take up quite a bit more room, it would allow for a nice small sporty, comfy ****pit, and it would weild incredible performance numbers. but it would require complete re-tuning of the suspension. but none the less, good work!

*edit* did i just say 'good work'? scratch that! i meant incredible work!

Well, neither one of us has the monoply on this idea. There are already quite a few projects of this nature out there. Check one of my previous posts with links to Honda-Tech and kimini.com which contain lots of info on mid-engine RWD conversions going on.

If you were to use the complete drivetrain and rear substructure from an NSX, including the rear suspension, I doub't you'd have to do much reworking. The NSX rear suspension is already "setup" for rear wheel drive. Don't give up on your idea and thanks for your encouraging words.

Dave

PS: Another project I was involved with:
Harrier Mazda RX83-C
well, i must say, you have gone a little above and beyond my idea when you cut into the unibody. my plans were originally to custom fab some control arms onto the front hubs from an integra, and since they are designed for turning you could use that ability as a handy little device to adjust toe-in/toe out. But it will be a long time before i have the funds to start a project like that, and when all goes as planned and my racing career (aiming for F1, yeah yeah, laught it up... but just wait!) hopefully i will still have the ambitions (and time) to set out on a task of this magnitude.

·
Registered
127 Posts
WoW!! is all i can think of. absolutely speechless! this is an incrediable project. This is going to be some beast when it's done! keep us all updated with your progress. keeep it up!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
you say you were a part of the Harrier Mazda project? what years was that project racing in? please let me know because my racecar builder had a one-off BMW GTP racecar too and there is a good chance you have raced with him. i can post some pics of it if the admins will allow.

here:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
very intriguing and ambitous project! few questions tho: how will you shift?
what kind of electrical issues do u plan on facing?
did u get any inspiration from Top Fuel's RWD Turbo delsol?
have u thought of getting some sponsors for this project?
Will this be street legal?

best of luck to ur project.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
looks amazing and a lot of hard work but fun at the same time.

like br1t1shguy said, make sure it has an LSD, and i noticed you had mentioned phantomgrip, i would stay away from phantom grip as people seem to have a lot of trouble with the phantom grip and go with something more like a quiffe or did any of the prelude trannys come with an oem lsd in japan??

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Many questions for you:

How do you plan on addressing the shifter, as I'm assuming this is a manual tranny?

What plans do you have for the wiring harness and vacuum connections?

Where are you going to locate the gas tank?

Are you thinking of doing a roll cage install?

Any plans for all the dead space up front?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
What was the main reason going with a front end in the back? Mounting the motor and it just bolts on?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ryziez on Sep/05/04 said:
you say you were a part of the Harrier Mazda project? what years was that project racing in? please let me know because my racecar builder had a one-off BMW GTP racecar too and there is a good chance you have raced with him. i can post some pics of it if the admins will allow.
Post #DC2H22-9
Check out this link:Harrier Mazda RX83-C
It has many details of the car and the racing we did, which occured in the late 90's into 2000 at Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Watkins Glen, and Daytona. I'm sorry I don't recognize the car in your picture.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
jofrad on Sep/05/04 said:
man, this is nice, but one thing that worries me is that, is this safe? because you had to cut off a part of the body which pretty lessens the rigidity of it?

i could be wrong, if i am, then im sorry

Please check out previous posts #DC2H22-5 & #DC2H22-6, looking for "Body Stiffness:"

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Post #DC2H22-10
More answers to your great questions!

Shifter: The stock Prelude shifter will be turned 180 degrees so the cables point backwards. I've designed a plate with bellcranks which will mount on top of the trans to convert the motion from the cables to the shifter and selector arms on the trans. Different bellcrank arm lengths will shorten shifter lever throw.

Electrical: I have the complete interior, including dash and HVAC and complete wiring harness from the Prelude which will be installed in the GSR. The Prelude ECU is mounted in the passenger foot well but will be relocated to behind the passenger seat, so I'll need to lengthen the portion of the harness between the ECU and main chassis harness. The engine harness between the ECU and engine will be stock. Otherwise I'll use the Prelude harness everywhere and interface it to connectors on the Integra where necessary. A lot of the connectors are plug compatable, as you would imagine. one thing the GSR has that the Prelude dosn't is the rear wiper/washer. I'm going to try to use the stalk switch from the GSR mounted somewhere on the Prelude console.

Inspiration: I've wanted to do this project for a long time, since 1991. I've been inspired lately by TV shows like American Chopper, American Hotrod, Overhaulin', CCR, etc...

Sponsors: I would love to involve sponsors in this project. I think it fits nicely into the wave of automotive/fabrication related TV shows on today. I have been hesitant to approach sponsors until I actually have something to show them, rather than just an idea.

Street Legal: absolutely

Vacuum Connections: I'll be using the GSR fuel return line to feed vacuum from the intake manifold up front to the brake booster. All other vacuum connections will be stock.

Gas Tank: I bought an MR2 fuel tank off eBay from a guy in Texas and will be mounting it sideways (it runs longinitudinally under the tunnel in the MR2) behind the seats. There will be a steel fire wall between the passenger compartment and the tank which will continue rearward (with a removable panel) to cover the entire engine compartment.

Roll Cage: The car is intended to be a "driver", not a racecar, so no cage. I am considering a roll bar, space permitting, but it's not necessary based on the intended use.

Space in Front: There will be lots of space between the radiator and firewall and I intend to use it for trunk storage. I would really like to duct the air from the radiator up through louvers in the hood and build a seperate box behind that for storage space. Haven't thought about it a lot other than the difficulty of sealing it to the under side of the hood without modifications to the hood support structure. It would need to be water tight.

Front Structure in Back: Yes, the main reason for using something already built is that it's already designed and built exactly for the purpose of bolting everything up. All of the motor mounts and suspension mounting points are already there.

Thanks again for all of your kind comments and questions. Hopefully a lot more of them will be answered as I go along.

Dave

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
br1t1shguy on Sep/05/04 said:
A few concerns I have that you've probably already addressed:

A: if you're using prelude brakes out back, how are you going to balance the braking?
Post #DC2H22-11
Great question! As of now I have only a "seat of the pants" idea for brake balance. Until I know the final weight distribution and CG height, I can only estimate roughly what balance will work. As it is, I'll be installing a 4040 disk brake distribution/proportioning valve from a 91 Integra LS. (bought it on eBay Friday) If that doesn't work, I have a couple of options, depending on how far off it is. I may be able to dial it in with different pads front and rear. Last resort is an adjustable proportioning valve. I know I'll have quite a bit more rear braking potential with the rear weight distribution. I'm hoping it will be proportional to the difference in piston diameter and rotor size between rear brakes on an Integra and front brakes on a 97 Prelude with the 4040 proportioning valve. Keep in mind, I have identical calipers and rotors front and rear.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
887 Posts
dfddfd2 on Sep/05/04 said:
Quote: Ryziez on Sep/05/04you say you were a part of the Harrier Mazda project? what years was that project racing in? please let me know because my racecar builder had a one-off BMW GTP racecar too and there is a good chance you have raced with him. i can post some pics of it if the admins will allow.

Check out this link:Harrier Mazda RX83-C
It has many details of the car and the racing we did, which occured in the late 90's into 2000 at Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Watkins Glen, and Daytona. I'm sorry I don't recognize the car in your picture.

Thanks,
Dave
ahh, yes that would explain why that car is unfamiliar to you. that car raced in the late 60's... long time ago. it was driven by Alf Gebhardt (my car builder and mechanic), David Hobbs (yes, the david hobbs from speedvision, also known as the man who invented the word 'clag') and another of Hobbs' relatives, i forget the first name but it was another Hobbs. That picture i have posted of it on pg. 4 is from Road Atlanta. The car was originally built in a small race shop outside of Stuttgart, Germany and it was raced in Le' Mans and won it's class a few times, then it was shipped to America where it successfully competed in the ALMS series. But anyhow, this is your post, so i will leave the glory and bragging to you!

41 - 60 of 3756 Posts
About this Discussion
3.8K Replies
982 Participants
MorningZ
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing