Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 3756 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, excellent work so far! Very unique, possibly one of a kind? So if i understand correctly this will be a MR GSR with a H22A4? I give you madd props on this very gutsy, bold project. Cant wait to see the finished product, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Post #DC2H22-3
More answers...

Weight Distribution: I'm shooting for total weight around 2500 lbs. with 45/55 front/rear weight distribution.

Engine Orientation: Engine will be mounted just as it was in the Prelude donor car, transverse, exhaust forward.

Hot Cabin: Good point! The engine bay will be covered with steel. with a removable panel, covered with Dynamat insulation and carpeting. It will also be vented with side air inlets and upper rear outlets.

Racing: It's not intended to be a racecar, but will see some track use at schools and other HPDE's for shakedown and dial-in.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
If you get that weight ratio, I will be very jealous!!Where are you mounting the radiator?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Post #DC2H22-4
Wow! I am amazed at the overwhelming response to this project and really appreciate your words of encouragement. I can't wait to see it finished either!

More answers...

Trans: Using the stock 97 Prelude trans...seriously considering adding a Phantom Grip...any thoughts, suggestions?

Unique: I've had this idea in my head since I started autocrossing an 84 Civic S back in 1991, but it is not unique. There are a few similar projects that are completed or in various stages of development.

Radiator: Using stock 94 GSR radiator in stock location. The GSR radiator is the exact same size (cooling capacity) as the stock H22A4 Prelude radiator. I'm also considering a louvered hood to keep the hot air from underneath the car.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Seriously, this better not be one of those topics that drift into nowhere w/ updates. I want updates as often as possible :) Awesome work thus far, as i cant wait to see it as it progresses. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Post #DC2H22-5
Interesting info related to previous question about weight distribution:

The Integra shell less engine, trans, axles, radiator battery, seats, door panels, console, spare tire, interior trim panels, and fuel empty weighs 1715 lbs. Total front weight is 956 lbs. and total rear is 759 lbs. for a 55.7% front weight distribution. The engine and trans with all acceseries except power steering pump weighs 479 lbs. I've removed about 65 lbs. of structure from the Integra and will be adding about 106 lbs. of structure from the Prelude.

Body Stiffness: The front structural members I'm adding from the Prelude are much beefier than the structure I've removed from the Integra. The attachment points between the engine/transaxle sub-structure and the Integra are definitely reinforced. If you look at the rear wheel well pictures, you can see where the GSR wheel well has been cut away to make room for the Prelude spring buckets, which will become the top portion of the wheel well. You can also see the structural member from the Prelude arching over the lower control arm, below the opening cut in the wheel well. Keep in mind that the engine/transaxle/rear suspension assemble is a structural unit unto itself and the Integra body just "sits" on top of it. There is a hidden structural box section inside the Integra C-pillar which will be welded to the top of the spring bucket, which will carry some of the body's weight. The frame pieces from the Prelude are welded to the Integra shell all along their entire length and will be fully reinforced when the very solid Integra wheel wells are welded to them. I will also be reinforcing the stressed areas of the shell to counteract engine torque and thrust loads.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
937 Posts
wow...that's just simply amazing and even those words dont' do it justice...haha. now that you're at it with the bare frame and everything, are you gonna weld strength points all around the shell and make the strength of the frame comparable or even better than the type- frame?

and like someone else said...continue to keep us updated on everything you do...i would love to tackle a project like this one day.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Post #DC2H22-6
I can't thank you all enough for your responses and questions! I'll try to keep up...

Body Stiffness: See previous post where I've detailed some of the structural issues.

Numbers to Achieve: My main goal is more qualitative than quantitative. If the car handles, rides and stops well, I'll be satisfied. Performance numbers will be a byproduct of the design rather than a design goal. I can always add more horsepower

Do mine?: Interesting you would say that as one of the reasons for doing this project is to use it as showcase for a custom fabrication/motorsports business I'm planning. Hopefully one day I'll have a showroom and you can walk in and buy one, or maybe have one made for you.

For a living: I was layed off from my job as a product development engineer at ABB 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Right now I'm supported by my savings and my extraordinarily wonderful parents who are gratiously providing their garage for this project. Future income potential may depend on people like integradriver13 above. My plan is to do these kind of projects for a living ASAP.

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
It's really nice to see someone not affraid to tackle such a difficult project. I really hope all of this works out exactly the way you want it to with all the effort and time/money you have put into it.

I definatly want to be kept up to date with this. Great work and I can't wait to see it finished. I'm sure your car will be featured in magazines as well.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Post #DC2H22-7
Here are some pics of the adjustable upper control arm mounts. Then comes the spring buckets. I'll have more pics of that later this week.

P32

Shims allow for up to -2.5 degrees static camber. Brackets are adjustable up and down for camber gain and roll center adjustments.
P33

Note -1 degree static camber with three 1/8" thick shims. Camber gain is to -3.5 degrees at full bump and +1.5 degrees at full droop.
P34

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
887 Posts
DAMN YOU!!!! i had that exact same idea, i was just waiting to gather up so extra cash to do it, except my plans were to use an NSX motor
while it would take up quite a bit more room, it would allow for a nice small sporty, comfy ****pit, and it would weild incredible performance numbers. but it would require complete re-tuning of the suspension. but none the less, good work!

*edit* did i just say 'good work'? scratch that! i meant incredible work!

21 - 40 of 3756 Posts
About this Discussion
3.8K Replies
982 Participants
MorningZ
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing