Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 94' GSR coupe with a rotted shell but a well-functioning engine and trans. Since I already have the car, I want to swap the insides into a new shell. The problem is I'm not totally sure exactly what shell I need; should it be the exact same model of car to avoid any incompatibilities between the ECU and other small features included on different cars? For example, I've found a decent offer on a 94' RS shell which would minimize compatibility issues between the OBD1 ECU included in 94/95 Integras (what I have/need) and the OBD2 ECU included on 96+ Integras (what I want to avoid). Unfortunately it also introduces other features which were cut between the two versions, including ABS breaks, cruise control, and a sunroof. Would these additional features present problems in swapping my car's internals? And more still, would it be possible to retrofit the ABS and cruise back into the RS shell?

TLDR: What exactly do I need to look out for when swapping the internals of my 94' GSR into the shell of another Integra? What features must be compatible, and what can can I retrofit back in later on?

·
Administrator
3,822 Posts
You have all the components, all you need to do is swap from one to the other. ABS, sunroof, brakes, cruise, and other items have no responsibility on making the engine run in the new shell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have all the components, all you need to do is swap from one to the other. ABS, sunroof, brakes, cruise, and other items have no responsibility on making the engine run in the new shell.
Well I'd like it to do a bit more than just run. Cruise control and ABS would both be nice to have, so if possible I would like to retrofit them to the new shell. I'm also concerned about ECU compatibility since I don't really know much about that. Will the onboard computer be confused if I'm running full GSR parts on what it expects to be an RS car? Or is this not a notable concern?

·
Administrator
3,822 Posts
If you're swapping everything from the old shell, to the new shell, there's no concern. The shell itself has no bearing on what systems will and will not run. The entire wiring harness, all components, etc would need to be swapped, if you're wanting those functions to operate properly. The exception of course would be the sunroof, since RS Integra's did not come with one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're swapping everything from the old shell, to the new shell, there's no concern. The shell itself has no bearing on what systems will and will not run. The entire wiring harness, all components, etc would need to be swapped, if you're wanting those functions to operate properly. The exception of course would be the sunroof, since RS Integra's did not come with one.
I think then for me the easiest thing to do would be to just find a 94 or 95 GSR and minimize my work swapping everything over. I don't really have any experience with wiring and electrical so I think it would be more hassle than it's worth to have to worry about that as well.

I have 96 Integra swapping to k20a2 and If you need ABS parts Im going to be removing mine let me know.
all I'm looking for rn is a shell lol but thank you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the most important part is having your old parts. So main difference in a 94/95 RS & 94/95 GSR Chassis is Vtec. So you need the engine harness up to the shock tower. There is a connecter there that splits the engine harness into two pieces. Luckily the second half of the engine harness that leads to the ECU already has the wires for Vtec in it on an RS. So when you pull the engine you pull the engine harness up to that point.

Question: Is the RS a manual ? If not additional wiring is needed. For the neutral safety switch. But that's easy enough. And write ups are available.

Now for abs, all 94-2000 integras came with cruise control & abs. So unless the previous owner removed the lines, and the separate abs computer, it shouldn't be that hard. Just take pictures of the GSR engine bay after the motor is pulled. Follow the lines and electrical connections from old shell.

Abs is the same for all 94-97 integras. They changed things up in 98-00. Different modulator. And certain hydraulic lines have different size fittings and threads.

These cars are like Legos. Super easy to part together. And what you're planning is nothing ground-breaking. So there are a lot of resources available here and other places.

That being said, it would be easier to find a shell with abs intact. If you don't want the extra work. But cruise is easy.

Personally, I don't know why so many people remove cruise from street cars. Seems unnecessary.

Also, obviously you would carry over your old P72 ecu. But that's plug n play.

Also, moving into a obd2 chassis, 96-00 isn't that bad. Although, my personal opinion would suggest sticking to 96-98 if you bought an obd2 chassis. In the case of an obd2 chassis, you would need to replace the engine harness and oil pump in order to install the crank sensor if retaining obd2 electronics. If you have to smog it.

But if that's not a concern, you can just get a jumper harness for $20 that converts the ecu plugs to obd1. No other mods necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts