Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have a problem here. I just bought a 92 integra with the B18A1. The guy I got it from said it needed a new fuel pump. Neither of us has seen it run, but I contacted the other previous owner and he said that one day it just wouldn’t start.

It ran fine till then. But I did basic checks and as far as I can tell the pump is fine. It primes when I turn the ignition on and I have fuel at the fuel rail. I checked the spark and it was weak so I replaced the coil.

The spark is way better now. But it still won’t start and I don’t know what is up. I can’t seem to find the main relay that all the other postings refer to. Can someone guide me to its exact location? And if it isn’t that, what else could it be?

This is my first teg but I’ve had 6 civics and have never had a problem that stumped me so bad. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this thing back on the road where it belongs. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Did you replace the coil with a brand new one? Did you also replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?

Is the timing properly set at the dizzy and the timing belt? Is the timing belt still there, and does it have all it's teeth?

If you can hear the fuel pump priming, then the main fuel relay is doing it's job, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's underneath the dash though, right below the steering wheel, to answer your question. It's a brown box that's about 1.5" wide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did replace the coil with a brand new one and the wires, cap, and rotor are all new also. The timing is set properly and the belt looks pretty new and all the teeth are there. But I don't know if it is new or not. Know anything else it could be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
the DA integras have a starter relay that can sometimes malfunction and cause the motor not to turn over. If the car is not turning over, then check the starter relay and the clutch interlock switch above the clutch pedal. Both are a PITA to get to IMO. The starter relay for the DA integra is located just to the right of the cd player position. You may have to remove pieces under the glove compartment and the center console to get to it. For the clutch interlock, you can just bypass it by cutting the two wires and jumping them together. CAUTIoN: Bypassing the clutch interlock switch will let you start your car without engaging the clutch, so DO NOT put it in gear if you decide to try this method.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I say take your ignitore in for a new one. mine did the same, i replaced rotor, cap, wires, coil, main relay and nothing until i did the ignitore and tada..

what exactly happends while turning the key? does the engine turn? have you checked for spark?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got this off of G2IC. Link to the entire thread is here

Engine will not rotate when attempting to start

- Battery terminal connections loose or corroded.
- Battery discharged or faulty.
- Automatic Transmission/transaxle not completely engaged in Park mode or Manual Transmission Clutch not completely depressed.
- Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit.
- Starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear.
- Starter solenoid faulty.
- Starter motor faulty.
- Ignition switch faulty.
- Starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken.

Engine rotates but will not start

- Fuel tank empty.
- Battery discharged.
- Battery terminal connections loose or corroded.
- Leaking fuel injectors, faulty fuel pump, faulty fuel pressure regulator.
- Fuel not reaching the fuel rail.
Ignition components damp or damaged.
- Worn, faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs.
- Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit.
- Loose distributor is changing ignition timing.
- Broken, loose or disconnected wires at the ignition coil or faulty coil.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I had an issue with the MFR. a lot of the same symptoms.
the discussion on G2IC is here

And the "how-to" is from tegger.com here

The FAQ is pretty good. I found two bad solder joints and fixed them simply by re-heating and adding a little more solder.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
No you can actually fix the relay. The common fail points are fractured solder welds, which can be fixed by resoldering. it only takes a few minutes!

I did it myself, and it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had the same issue with my DA9 and all it needed was a new distributor not the cap but the whole distributor now its starts in seconds. try that i hope you find out the issue hint:i wouldnt go to the auto parts store try your local import store mine got shipped from canada for under 300

1 - 11 of 11 Posts