Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently bought a mint condition 91 integra GS 1.8L L4 PFI DOHC 16V auto OD trannie with 131k on it ... this problem was existing when i bought it ...anyhow the car will drive for about 10 minutes and then the transmission will disengage... no gears will work at all...no drive or reverse... when i shut it of and restart it it works fine again for about the same amount of time... i do have to boost it tho because the alternator is dead...i don't believe it to be internal or mechanical as i do have some experience with trannies and when it works it works really well,,,, so im thinking shift silinoid or something but im really not familure with these cars.. if anyone knows if there is a electro mechanical master engagement device of some kind in there i guess that might explain it esp. with the alternator being dead... but otherwise im lost... any help would be very greatly appreciated
thanx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i should have clarified.. i havent done anything to the car as yet... and it actually is a 91 GS 1.8L L4 PFI DOHC 16V with a overdrive tranny....i bought it as is and have not worked on it yet...i have driven it around the block and back but no farther and have driven it in a very average manner.... it will work perfectly for about 5-10 minutes ( havent timed it but seems to be the same amount of time each time i restart it) and then poof... no drive... no reverse ... no anything will make it move... until i shut it off and restart it.. i do have to boost it however as the alternator is dead and will not charge anything in the system... im wondering if this has anything to do with it?? i am trying to get my hands on some schematics to try and figure it out but so far i cant find anything ... i used to rebuild transmissions but mostly domestic so i really have no idea about this one... but as i said its mint otherwise and i have a lot planned for it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hhmmm is it a electrical lock up... thats not a problem i know to happen otherwise.. in which case do u know what and where the device that engages and disengages is? maby it could be a relay or something in that system overheating.... please say outside and easy to access lol ... in any event thanx for the reply :) oh one more thing... any idea where i can download a manual for that car without money or credit card :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
No alt. no power to the shift and lock up silinoid and to the transmission computer. Witch will result into the transmission shutting down after a few mins off the battery. And also, did you replace your converter to? And did you get the tranny flushed after you install it?

P.S. imports and demestic autos work the same way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like it just may be the problem... thanx for the advice... im going to replace the alternator before i look any further and see what happens... my last post is awaiting approval still lol .. in that one i explained that i havent replaced anything and was looking for ideas before i dove in..... i am a converted chev guy and have never owned or worked on a honda in my life.... but i do love this car and dont think ill ever turn back... i drove a near identical one belonging to my friend and found this one (completely rust free and puurfect motor) for 120.00 dollars Canadian....... not bad eh lol.. ill keep ya posted on what happens

·
Registered
580 Posts
lol not a problem. I just read your last post. I do have the book on my computer. I just need your e-mail so I can compress it and send it to you. I'll tell you 1 thing about honda's. You can kick the hell out of them and they'll still keep going mile after mile.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it seems that the problem was simply the battery... not even the alternator lol :) its running beautifully and i cant wait to get to work on supping this baby from top to bottom :) wwhhhheee lol .... thanx for the advice and help.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.